How to enable 'Never Combine taskbar buttons'. Windows 11 ?

Steel Contributor

Hi @all
I did not find this function 'Never Combine taskbar buttons'. How can this function be found and enabled in windows 11?
I can't work with multi-tab on windows 11.

Thank you!

598 Replies
I really hate the never combine feature and I see through the thread that this has been an issue since October 2021. I really wish they would fix this it definitely slows me down and sounds like it is an issue for many people!

Anyone else seeing Valentin-Gabriel's GitHub ExplorerPatcher solution break in the latest Windows Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22623.1028) (KB5021866)? Explorer.exe crashes during the EP install. I had to uninstall EP via command line 'ep_setup /uninstall' to get system working again. Issues/Discussions on the GitHub project are locked so I can't report the problem there.

this is quite dangerous script. it will ungroup the taskbar icons, but will break start menu completely.

FYI you are missing ` in the end of your line 9 and 11.

@danielKusnir  Hi,

yes I also do not recommend running non-> confirmed scripts, it can always cause an error and be dangerous for Windows!

I need this functionality as well
It is clear that Microsoft has become an inefficient and slow company, much as I hate to admit it. Their response to customer requests is unreasonably slow. It seems to take them three years to understand that they need to implement a simple feature like this. There are plenty of managers, analysts, and the like, but they can't even handle basic tasks. It's a shame. Hopefully someone will push them off the market. Again, it's a shame.

@henrik32259Yeah broke for me too. Had to uninstall to have explorer to stop crashing. How long more do we have to suffer?

It's over a year now, when.... when will we be able to set this option without 3rd party solutions?

I've had enough of missing important features in Windows 11 and waiting years for them to be implemented, I'm going back to Windows 10!

just a little bit longer

https://twitter.com/thebookisclosed/status/1592981617341247490

seems they beaten up project manager that came up with this crap and working to put it back

don't hold your breath, this not the first time something like this has been posted, yet no change. Microsoft are now just apple fanboys who can't build an apple. 

MS just makes the same errors all the time. It would have been simple to give their users what they want, a w10 interface and user experience, but no they want unhappy customers who lose productivity everytime they try and make windows more of a crap mac. 

One day someone will produce a operating system that runs windows software and has the user experience we want and goodbye MS. 

@danielKusnir 

:)
if you are up to some minor hacks, check this out

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

it works just fine on w11 and lets you enable all the neat features you wish for. i tested that, i see no issues whatsoever. If you are not familiar with searching the app in the git, you can use direct link

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/releases/latest/download/ep_setup.exe
It doesn't work well

@danielKusnir 

" seems they beaten up project manager that came up with this crap and working to put it back "

Unfortunately, this is not true! this feature does not exist in Insider versions :)

Try the "StartAllBack" program. https://www.startallback.com/ That one works without any problems.

@drdoug They used to say Linux would replace windows. 20 years later and I'm still waiting. 

Amazing news!
Thank you!

It would be a step into the right direction, but why not bring optional labels back es well?

To repeat: the bottom of my screen (the taskbar) on my ultrawide monitor is now 95% unused space and 5% icons clutched together in the center. It looks nice I guess, but an idiot could see, that that can absolutely not be the most productive solution for a taskbar.

Can we PLEASE use the single piece of the OS we interact by far the most with in a way that makes us more productive? :pensive_face:

Do you have ANY response for your customers Microsoft? Try "we hear your", "we'll look into it" - ANYTHING that gives us hope that at least someone gives a **bleep**..

I'm back to Windows 10, no regrets!

THIRD PARTY/COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE IS NOT THE SOLUTION HERE. I'm not going to install yet another thing in my already bloated system. I am not going to install software from an unknown source that may contain spyware. I like the Windows 11 interface enough to keep it. But I just want the option to not combine icons. I can live with the rest of the changes. Just not the one that is the subject of this discussion. Why is Microsoft not taking this 17 page thread seriously? @Aleks Lopez, @Heather Poulsen, @Hari_Pulapaka