Windows 11 Printer Issue - DYMO LW450 DUO is not installing correctly/entirely

Copper Contributor

This issue occurs in Windows 11

The expected result is that both DYMO LW450 DUO Label and LW450 DUO Tape install correctly, however only the LW450 DUO Label installs while the LW450 DUO Tape's status is displayed as "Error". The device was connected with USB.

There seem to be issues with other manufacturers (Brother, Canon, HP, etc.) when installing multiple printers/scanners and the root cause of this instance may be related

Please respond regarding the status of this issue or workarounds for Windows 11.

Thanks,
David
DYMO Development Team

PrintersAndScanners.png

Win 11 version.png

237 Replies
Having the same problem with the exact same printer. I contacted Dymo about the issue as well and they stated:

Thank you for contacting DYMO.

I'm really sorry to hear about your issue, unfortunately it is created because on Windows 11 there is some issue with all printers have 2 different option to print as LabelWriter 450 duo.

Please contact Microsoft they soon will be provide an update for resolve this issue.

Have a great day.
I'm also having the same issue with the same response. Has there been an update on this issue?
No update from Dymo.
They say it is a Windows 11 problem.

I tested this:
installed Windows 10 and Dymo Connect --> printer works
upgraded the same system to Windows 11 --> printer does not work anymore (even after reinstalling drivers etc)
Downgraded the same system to Windows 10 --> it worked again.

Hi @JoeriSw, yep, that seems to be the only fix for me too. What a shame as Microsoft has known about this problem for so long and yet still haven't/refuse to fix it. Thanks for posting this up!

@DavidR_DYMO 

Same problem on my side with my Dua 450...

I hope someone will find a workaround.

Yannick

@YannickH , @DavidR_DYMO

IF (!) you happen to have two Dymo printers, it is possible to use a workaround to this issue; the first machine has to be installed as the Tape printer (on USB001 port, which is the usual default) and the second as the Label printer on a different port (eg. USB002). With this arrangement, you can then toggle between the two printers / respective label types in the Label software (either Label v.8 or Dymo Connect) and be able to print successfully. I have however found that it only seems to be stable if the Tape machine is plugged in directly to a primary USB port on the PC, while the Label machine seems OK via several tiers of USB hubs.

What appears to have been broken by Win 11 is the ability to support two multifunction devices through a common USB Port.

What this really needs (as David from Dymo tech support has clearly flagged) is a permanent fix with a software patch from Microsoft. Soon would be really helpful, please !!

@DavidR_DYMO 
Just to add, this is definitely a Windows 11 issue. I have been trying to find a solution for 2 days for my LabelWriter 450 Duo. I have tried the latest software from Dymo and even tried 2 previous versions. Same issue. Label Side is fine, Tape side is not recognised. 
The only way I managed to get the Tape side to work on Windows 11, was to manually delete the Label Printer, and Manually install the Tape Printer in the Windows settings. 
NOTE: This only worked until I disconnected the printer from USB and re-attached. It then defaulted back to Label and the Tape side is shown as permanently "not connected". 
I then tried the printer on an iMAC for completeness. Works straight away (both printers) using the latest download from Dymo for Mac. The printer is therefore confirmed fine. 
Let's hope Microsoft eventually admit liability and fix the issue. 

Thanks for posting.
i've been searching for a few days aswell.
At one point i got the tape working aswell just can't remember how. Most likely it's like you described it.

I hope Microsoft comes with a fix for this problem too. I'm unable to use it now.

@astevebennett 

I have found that if I disconnect the Label Printer's USB cable after shutting down the PC (leaving the separate Tape one connected) and then reconnect the Label USB once the PC has fully booted up, I am able to maintain stable operation with both Tape and Label printers.  

This arrangement is only viable due to having 2 separate Dymo Duo 450s - and that purely because the Tape printer in the original one had failed (mechanical) and I had bought a new machine intended to replace it.

I'm not seeing any response from MS in this forum which I would have expected by now since the Vendor (Dymo) have formally raised the matter with them....

I installed Windows 11 in mid-October 2021 and immediately got the problem with the Duo450.

At the end of November 2021, I opened my first ticket with DYMO Germany. No solution.

So far, the compatibility chart on DYMO.COM shows that the printer is compatible with Windows 11, but it isn't. I cannot see any information about the Windows 11 issue on DYMO.COM.

The printer is still being sold and Windows 11 has been out for almost four months. Windows 11 customers should be informed before purchasing that the printer will not work at this time.

I think it is not quite as simple.... I was able to print tapes and labels on the same machine about 10 days ago without issue. Since that I have encountered the problem as described....

@KevinW 

Did you update Windows 10 to Windows 11 on the same machine and then install the updates?
I did a clean install of Windows 11.

I had 1 PC which was W10 and in-place upgraded to W11 and a second which is a new Dell XPS15 supplied with W11 pre-installed. Both DID work with the printer, but now neither do.
Tried on a fully patched Windows 11 machine. Didn’t work so fully reset to Windows 11. Same symptoms. Hope that helps.
As a workaround I installed VirtualBox on my Windows 11 machine, created a Windows 10 Virtual machine and installed the printer software.
Both, Label and Tape, are working.
Great idea. Thanks for sharing. 👍🏻
Was thinking of doing the same ... But we shouldn't have to do that. Microsoft should just fix the problem.

Good thing i have a spare Windows 10 laptop which i can use to print Dymo labels now.
It's a termporal workaround and part of the problem analysis.
Definitely, it's up to Microsoft and Dymo to make the printer work with Windows 11 and present a solution to the customers.

Hi @IngoM56 , thank you for sharing this workaround. I hope this will be of use to other users.

As of right now the DYMO developers aren't aware of improvements we can make to resolve these Windows 11 printer driver issues. At it's core, it's caused by the way Windows 11 handles these printer drivers.

If anyone at Microsoft sees this and has feedback for the DYMO team or an update on the status of the work on this issue, please reach out to me via this platform. I'll be sure to revisit the thread. Thank you.