Shared file not updating

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I have an excel file that is stored on teams. We have multiple users working on multiple sheets across this one file at any one time. Autosave is on when updates occur to this file. All users are accessing the file through a shortcut link on their desktop. This comes from the synced version of the sharepoint folder that contains the excel file, that is now on their file explorer tab.

I can see the changes that one group is making to one sheet on the file. Another group is updating another sheet, however no one can see their changes except locally on their computer. When you try to save and exit, it deletes all their data. 

For reference, the users that are having this issue are using a generic production windows login, but their own personal windows login for teams/sharepoint to be able to access the file.

Thank you for any help. Apologies if I have been cryptic, I can't share photos due to sensitive information.

2 Replies

Hi @AdamCook1996,

you can use this troubleshooting to try resolve the issue of an Excel file not updating in Teams:

1. Check the file permissions

Make sure that all users have the necessary permissions to edit the Excel file. To do this:

1. Open the Excel file in Teams.
  2. Click the three dots in the top right corner of the file.
  3. Click Manage access.
  4. Make sure that all users have the Can edit permission.

2. Clear the Teams cache

Clearing the Teams cache can sometimes resolve issues with file syncing. To do this:

1. Close Teams.
  2. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  3. Type %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams in the Run dialog box and press Enter.
  4. Delete all of the files and folders in the Teams folder.
  5. Restart Teams.

3. Disable co-authoring

If you are still having problems, you can try disabling co-authoring for the Excel file. To do this:

2. Click the three dots in the top right corner of the file.
  3. Click More options.
  4. Click Disable co-authoring.

4. Save the file to OneDrive

If you are still having problems, you can try saving the Excel file to OneDrive. To do this:

2. Click the File tab.
  3. Click Save as.
  4. In the Save as dialog box, select OneDrive.
  5. Click Save.

Once the file is saved to OneDrive, all users should be able to see the changes that have been made.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic

Hi @AdamCook1996 

"I can see the changes that one group is making to one sheet on the file. Another group is updating another sheet, however no one can see their changes except locally on their computer. When you try to save and exit, it deletes all their data. "

Are these users using Excel Online or the Excel App? Did they turn off "Automatic saving" at the top left of their Excel App?

Best Regards,
Sven