Question for you all!

Copper Contributor

I'm wondering how I can select cells from different columns and get the sum. Lets say I'm making a menu. Column A is the appetizers. Column B is the main course. Column C is the dessert. They all have 6 choices (or rows). How can I make it so that a customer can click on a cell in column A and in B and C with giving the total amount for the whole meal in a designated cell?

5 Replies

@BradyNuWay-KandH 

Here's one way to handle it, probably more flexible than what you were suggesting. Rather than clicking on the choice itself, this approach gives the price and asks the customer to indicate quantity for each choice--so they could be ordering for more than one person, and get various answers depending on how many of each type of dish were to be ordered.

I like that a lot but is there any way to not have a quantity? Just a check box?

@BradyNuWay-KandH 

It is possible.

As I understand it, though, you'd then need to have a macro behind it. And that goes a step beyond what I am currently competent with....I'd also question why you want to do that? Where and how are you going to be using your spreadsheet in the first place?

There are others here on this website who can give you that option, in any event.

I’m not using this as a food menu. More of a fuel tank menu. You pick a tank, a pump, a filter, a gauge, a fill cap. Each of these has a different price and only one can be selected in each category.

@BradyNuWay-KandH 

Allow me to build on to @mathetes suggestions and your additional explanation to him. You can use check-boxes or option buttons. No need for VBA. Though, I find them very cumbersome, especially if you need a lot of them. Each check box / option button needs to be placed and sized correctly, linked to a control cell and have a particular text or no text at all. Check-boxes toggle on (TRUE) or off (FALSE) and you can use these values in formulae.

Option buttons are all linked together and you can only select one at the time, unless you group them in a so called Group box. I demonstrated this in the attached example. Perhaps something that enables you to plan your next step.