SOLVED

Locate an External Source

Copper Contributor

I saved a workbook with a new name. The newly named workbook contained references to the old workbook in formulas. I searched for and deleted all references I could find to the old workbook, but when I open the new workbook, I still get a notice asking if I want to update external references. I've searched for the old name, for ".xl", and for "[" and find no instances; I've also used the Edit Links feature under the Data tab. The Edit Links feature shows the old file as a source, but I can't find references to the old file in the new file? Is there another way to find the external references and delete it?

15 Replies

@kberke 

If you are on Pro version you may use Inquire to analyse workbook. More powerful from this point of view is FindLink add-in https://manville.org.uk/software/findlink.htm

@Sergei BaklanThanks for this response. I don't have the version that contains Inquire. I'd just as soon not add a third-party add-in for this single problem if I can avoid it.

@kberke 

I've found links to external data sources lurking in Data Validation also. Ran into several of them just recently and am still chasing down one more that is far, eluding me.

I also have code on a "Control Sheet" to pich up the year and moth and month name from the file name. I " SUSPECT" that the ".xlsx]" that I have asa delimiter in the FIND is causing an issue but have yet to have the time to prove it.

OldManBurley  AKA John

@Sergei Baklan

Sergei, Tried this Add-In in Excel 365 Insider. Multiple times. It WOULD show in the ribbon and look, when selected, as if it work but on each attempt it froze  my Excel session.

OldManBurley AKA John

@Jan Karel Pieterse , perhaps you may comment if it works on Insiders or not.

Thanks

@TheOldPuterMan 

@Jan Karel PieterseMuch appreciate the response. None of the tabs in the Properties dialogue box in Excel 2016 (as part my Office subscription) show the block v. unblock option.

Not excel, the properties of the addin file itself.

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

Do you know where the add-in file is located?

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

I found the location of the Excel Add-In files, but the folder is empty!

best response confirmed by kberke (Copper Contributor)
Solution
The add-in I was mentioning is the one I assumed you downloaded from Bill Manville's website and will be located whereever you have saved it to when you downloaded it.

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

This is so nice of you to take an interest. I haven't downloaded that add-in, but I'll look at that website.

@Jan Karel Pieterse

Just to mention that I found the Findlink add-in, ran it and found the links I was looking for. Many thanks for your help.

Excellent!

@TheOldPuterMan 

Figured it out(By accident) It was links to cells on an old Workbook that I had referenced for Conditional Formatting. I only found them when I went to change the formatting on a set of datum and displayed ALL formatting on the sheet.

Thanks All!!

TheOldPuterMan

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by kberke (Copper Contributor)
Solution
The add-in I was mentioning is the one I assumed you downloaded from Bill Manville's website and will be located whereever you have saved it to when you downloaded it.

View solution in original post