How to install the Linux Windows Subsystem in Windows 11

Iron Contributor

How to install the Linux Windows Subsystem in Windows 11How to install the Linux Windows Subsystem in Windows 11

Install using Command Prompt
Step 1: Start CMD with administrative privileges.
Step 2:Execute "wsl --install" command.
Step 3:Run "wsl -l -o" to list other Linux releases.
Step 4:You can install your favorite Linux distribution, use "wsl --install -d NameofLinuxDistro."

When the operation is finished, restart your PC.You can start the Linux distribution from your Start menu.

Install Using Windows Features
Step 1:Open the Start menu and type "Windows features" into the search bar and click on "Turn Windows Features On or Off".
Step 2:Tick the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" checkbox and press the “OK” button.

Step 3:When the operation is complete, you will be asked to restart your computer.

After that, use the Microsoft Store app and look for the Linux distribution you want to use.
Install the Linux distro of your choice.

Step 4:The Linux distribution can be launched from the Start menu.

51 Replies

@ItsWindows_Duh 

Such ingnorant posts I tend to ignore but your un-called-for beligerence meant I could not resist.

My suggestion, if you are able to and paying attention to the article date, is to read the article (link below) carefully and then contact ALL 8 contributors and let them know they are all wrong.

Install Linux on Windows with WSL 

wsl --install

This command will enable the features necessary to run WSL and install the Ubuntu distribution of Linux.

Article dated: 23/11/2022

@Barry_Bazza ok, so I did everything that was mentioned “ wsl - - install “ it did download the Ubuntu version. But now in windows 11 it’s asking me “ check and make sure it is enabled in bios “ how do I do this is windows 11 I know win8 not 11. Please help. 

@Jonathan080385 

Go to your BIOS and enable SVM Mode on AMD CPUs or Intel Virtualisation Technology on Intel CPUs. next, make sure WSL is enabled by running this in powershell:dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux /all /norestart

@ammarjaved 

I am unable to install WSL using the command prompt in Windows 11.

wsl --install command throws the following error:

An error occurred in the secure channel support

I checked Security section under Internet properties.

TLS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 all are enabled.

I searched over the internet for a solution but couldn't find any.

Pre-requisites:

Are there any pre-requisites that needs to be set before running the wsl install command in the command prompt?

Is it necessary to enable the following as a pre-requisite in the Windows Features:

• Windows Hypervisor Platform
  • Windows Subsystem for Linux

Install WSL | Microsoft Learn

I can't see any such pre-requisite mentioned in the above doc. Rather it says

This command will enable the features necessary to run WSL and install the Ubuntu distribution of Linux.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:

• I managed to install WSL using the alternative approach i.e., using Windows Features.
  • The probable reason (I think) for the issue mentioned above in this post is because of outdated WSL2 linux kernel package which can be updated from Manual installation steps for older versions of WSL | Microsoft Learn.
  • Thanks to the authors of the comments in this discussion thread whose suggestions helped me in resolving the issue. 

@YashAdhyapak5708 

I agree with Yash.
Even though howtogeek article mentions to switch on only the WIndows Subsystem for Linux feature, but the installation would prompt you to enable Virtual Machine Platform feature too.

@ammarjaved 

Everything lines up and looks good but when I try to install AISLERIOT

Sudo apt install Aisleriot     It looks good

Then I type Aisleriot to open NOTHING.

When I look in the search Nothing.   I did Linux on several PCs but this was first Lenovo. Any thought's Thanks

Did I something wrong with my wsl ubuntu installation?
Linux is running, but gets errors cloning from github out of the box.
Like "fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com[..]"
So, do we have to install the subsystem or is already on my Windows 11 Desktop?

@collinsj6871 

You need to install it.

install at aka.ms/wsl2kernel 

@Salam9 

@ammarjaved 

To install the Linux Windows Subsystem (WSL) in Windows 11, follow these steps:

1. Open the Windows Start menu and search for "Turn Windows features on or off".
  2. Click on the search result for "Turn Windows features on or off".
  3. Scroll down to the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" option and check the box next to it.
  4. Click the "OK" button to confirm and start the installation process.
  5. Wait for the installation to complete and then restart your computer.

After your computer restarts, you'll be able to use the Linux Windows Subsystem on Windows 11. You can install Linux distributions from the Microsoft Store or by downloading a distribution from the official website and manually installing it using PowerShell. To use the Linux terminal, open the Start menu and search for the name of the Linux distribution you installed. Good Luck!

@sometimes, guys, do not reply that wsl crashed with 0x800701bc
use this command in cmd: wsl --set-default-version 1 
and trya again

good day from this end, i am trying to download kali linux but its not in the options option. i am kiddie in this though.

Are you using the right name @archjizee? Doing a search for installable distributions using the top command (see image for output), I was able to determine the name of the distribution to be kali-linux. Using this name, I was able to install the distribution using the second command.

# Search for all available distros
wsl --list --online

# Install kali
wsl --install -d kali-linux

How to show online Linux distributions to install through WSLHow to show online Linux distributions to install through WSL 

@DanielePP  i had a similar issue that was solved by opening the terminal as an admin

@ItsWindows_Duh 

I only used wsl --install and it installed the latest version of Ubuntu on its own so it may depend on your system. 

@ammarjaved  what should i do for this?

Screenshot 2023-10-04 094304.jpg

thanx got linux 1.2.5 and ubuntu at firs command
Run CMD as administrator