Excessive Spam, Junk Mail from "geeksquad" email address?

Copper Contributor

Experiencing some frustration with the following, and thought to see if anyone else is having this issue and/or have found a solution.

I've been getting an excessive amount of spam/junk for the last two months, and the majority of it is arriving directly in my inbox.  While some of the messages do not have email addresses that I can see (and thus, I frustratingly can't add them/their domain to my spam/block list), the largest number is coming from the email address geeksquad@emailinfo.geeksquad.com

This is obviously a "known" and "safe" email address for BestBuy's Geeksquad.  I was reluctant to add it to my "Blocked Senders and Domains" list because I wouldn't want any legitimate BestBuy purchase/reminder/receipt emails being permanently blocked. 

Sadly, the number of emails haven't gotten so bad, I unfortunately ended up doing just that.  What's more, I also removed the same email address from my "Safe Senders and Domains" list.

Despite this, I'm still getting tons of spam from the above email address, and most is still arriving directly to my inbox.  I'd be happy to just have these email redirected to my junk/spam folder at this point, but it's all becoming quit maddening and annoying. 

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon and/or was able to "fix" this from happening? 

Thank you, and appreciate your collective insight. 

94 Replies

@MyChargerIsFast 

Hi, if you are receiving really disturbing emails, then the best method is to report to the relevant institutions, I ask everyone to report fake :Mail senders

ReportFraud.ftc.gov - FAQ

How To Get Less Spam in Your Email | Consumer Advice (ftc.gov)

econsumer.gov: GettingStarted

The GeekSquad was the worst offender. They were making me mad at some of the things they sent. Oh well. They are blocked now. I only got 5 spam e-mails all weekend. Header rule and MailWasherFree caught the rest.

@MyChargerIsFast 

Yes, but not everyone can block with a complicated rule, so only reporting can improve all users :)

@Teresa_Cyrus 

Did you just suggest users click on a link in an email from an unknown source. 

You realize these are unsolicited emails and any link could potentially have viruses and Trojans, mallard ect.

Please do not click on links in emails that you can't validate the sender.

Whoever is sending these emails are smarter then Microsoft because for some reason you can't block them in outlook.

Hi @Giloaded@A1 

Please go back a reread my posts in this thread. As an IT Professional, I would not instruct users to click on an unknown link. I provided a direct link to Best Buy's website and included an image for clarity.

Here is another response I wrote about spam, and I have produced several videos about this topic. 
Re: Tons of spam being delivered! - Microsoft Community Hub

Please don't give other users the wrong impression about my professional guidance.

/Teresa

@Teresa_Cyrus 

"Please don't give other users the wrong impression about my professional guidance."

Please explain?

"I provided a direct link to Best Buy's website and included an image for clarity."

Why as a professional did you add a third-party link if users previously confirmed that it does not work?

@Teresa_Cyrus 

In this case, Best Buy is a victim here. Someone is using their trademarked name and spamming on their behalf. Reporting it to Best Buy is useless because they can't do anything about e-mail not going through their services. It's really in Microsoft's court to improve their spam filter. Most of the spam is coming from one domain so it ought to be easy enough to blacklist. It certainly would reduce overhead! As far as the end user the best way to block this would be the e-mail header rule I previously mentioned. It really isn't hard to set up and it will work. 

For everyone with this issue do this
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook/excessive-spam-junk-mail-from-quot-geeksquad-quot-ema...

And this stopped ALL emails from this address. From the day I did this, I have not seen 1 email from them, they are deleted before they even get to my spam folder.

Best Buy is a victim here but, here is the truth, I order from Best Buy time to time, even with the block I do, I get all my emails from Best Buy,

It's a popular email, so it gets spoofed. And they spam the hell out of everyone.

It was by far the WORST spammer I have seen. I was getting like 30-60 a day at one point.

The answer why you keep getting emails from geeksquad in your inbox after adding the previous email address to the junk list is simple.

Note the email has an address like:

j1374gg5PvYF <email address removed for privacy reasons>  not the letters j1374gg5PvYF that is part of the spammer email address. 

so after blocking that email address the next email will be something like:

f1424gk6UbUT <email address removed for privacy reasons> and whala you got another spam in  your inbox.

You offer us the ability to block by email address, but the spammers never use the same address. But most use the same subject line; Let us block by subject line or by words. I live in an apartment and will never need gutters or replacement windows or home warranties. By highlighting part or all of the subject line , we reduce the junk mail. And let us do this in bulk. Go into email, hightlight the parts we know we will never use, then block all of them.

@Zeromus 

I have the same problem with this email address junk. Tried every to block this. Tried outlook support, no solutions. Apparently this ahold has better knowledge than Microsoft. I will continue to delete this junk mail. Hopefully Microsoft will hire someone smarter than this geek.

Try this, this is the way I have managed this. Just be careful as if this keyword is anywhere the message, it will delete it. You will need to add a keyword that each "spam" uses. I have list of like 15 or 20 built up now, and I see 0 of them, I even went into the spam folder picked one that I got tons of emails from and added them to this and never even in my spam folder.

Rules> New rule> Under "Add a Condition", pull down the menu and select "Message header includes" and put in, for this example, "geeksquad.com". For each spam, I would do the same for their email address, normally spoofed. Do NOT put the whole email, just the ending "doman.com" etc.

Then go to "Add an Action" and select "Delete".

This will also stop those who use different emails but at the same domain.

From this point forward, geeksquad.com emails will never be seen again, add who you want to stop to your needs.

This was done on Outlook.live.com

The Outlook rule didn't work for you?
You might want to try a freeware app called MailWasher. It allows you set up rules pretty easily. It honors things like domain blacklisting that seem to be hit or miss for Outlook. There are also e-mail filters to automatically delete certain phrases found in spam such as Orangetheory, canvas prints, Tommy Chong, LeafFilter Partner, etc.. They are all automatically deleted now. It's a pretty good tool.
No, the thing I posted above works perfect. When I get bulk spam from a domain like geeksquad.com. Normally the info, the actual address is different. So, anyone emailing from geeksquad.com is automatically deleted.
I posted the Outlook rule header fix on 11/30/22 in this thread. lol.

I have since used MailWasher in conjunction with Outlook rule headers because it's easier to view the header contents without copying/pasting them to Notepad. Outlook gives a very small window to view the entire header.