Excessive Spam, Junk Mail from "geeksquad" email address?

Copper Contributor

Experiencing some frustration with the following, and thought to see if anyone else is having this issue and/or have found a solution.

I've been getting an excessive amount of spam/junk for the last two months, and the majority of it is arriving directly in my inbox.  While some of the messages do not have email addresses that I can see (and thus, I frustratingly can't add them/their domain to my spam/block list), the largest number is coming from the email address geeksquad@emailinfo.geeksquad.com

This is obviously a "known" and "safe" email address for BestBuy's Geeksquad.  I was reluctant to add it to my "Blocked Senders and Domains" list because I wouldn't want any legitimate BestBuy purchase/reminder/receipt emails being permanently blocked. 

Sadly, the number of emails haven't gotten so bad, I unfortunately ended up doing just that.  What's more, I also removed the same email address from my "Safe Senders and Domains" list.

Despite this, I'm still getting tons of spam from the above email address, and most is still arriving directly to my inbox.  I'd be happy to just have these email redirected to my junk/spam folder at this point, but it's all becoming quit maddening and annoying. 

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon and/or was able to "fix" this from happening? 

Thank you, and appreciate your collective insight. 

94 Replies

Anyone still having the problem? Creating a rule would send the emails to a folder and get them out of the way but recently those emails have seemed to disappear. They are not being sent to the junk folder or that folder I set up to catch all the geeksquad emails. Did Microsoft finally crack down? It's just weird that they all disappeared. 

I went from multiple emails a day from geeksquad to 0 for the week. Something changed.

Mine seem to come through on my mobile device, but if I leave them they end up disappearing. I believe it happens when it syncs to the webmail. Hopefully it has been taken care of. The mobile app people sent me back to the web people, who sent me to mobile people in the first place. So I have given up for now

This was only raised to my awareness yesterday. Realizing it's very old thread, but nevertheless, this might help others:

Check your safe senders list and make sure this address is not added to the list.

@Scott Landry 

They were not on the safe senders list. Plus, I would think marking them as junk mail and putting them on the blocked list would remove them from the safe senders list if they were there. If not then that is something they need to fix because adding them to one should remove them from the other.

But whatever it was Microsoft finally fixed it since I have not seen a single email from that group in a few months. And from the lack of replies I am guessing it was fixed for the others. So it was definitely something that was being allowed (unintentionally) by Microsoft. It could have been some hack or glitch. I keep my system updated with the Windows 10 Defender and an anti malware/spyware, antivirus that is Windows Defender compatible. It is on 24/7. I also use the software to block untrusted sites.

If it was just me having the problem I would say it was something on my side but since others have the problem it had to be something bigger. Most people probably never bother to come here to ask about things like that.

@Gunnerb52 

See that this thread started and ended a while ago, but this is happening to me, with the email address removed for privacy reasons address sending a few dozen emails per day. I have blocked the sender, but that doesn't seem to matter. 

Advice, please!

@HazelMoates 

mine slowed down and actually went away for a while. It is now back with a vengeance. I was told to sign into my email on the website, block emails from there. It helps. So annoying

wendy

@Whattonmw 

thank you. Hopefully this gets more attention. I have sent the emails to the phish/junk notification emails but that seems to do no good. 

@HazelMoates 

Now I am getting lots of emails that have no sender email address.  Sender appears as *bye bye fat*,  or [a few emojis] Public Records [Emjois]. Help!  

@Whattonmw 

Mine are back heavily this past week as well.  They aren't even going to my junk folder any longer.  They are going straight to my inbox. 

I know these are 100% illegitimate because they are going to 3 different email addresses that I have, and I've only ever used 1 for anything BestBuy related. 

I really wish Microsoft will fix this soon.  It's getting irritating. 

Same here. It’s ridiculous

@Whattonmw 

i took the advice to use outlook.com instead of the outlook app (which i prefer), which has helped *some*. the junk comes in waves. some are caught, some not.  all are caught, all are not. most are caught, few are not. weird and i feel helpless. 

@HazelMoates  Not sure what your exact problem is. Is it things you mark as junk are not going to junk or you are getting junk emails still? If emails you marked as junk are still getting through I really don't know what the fix is since they never really addressed it with a legit fix. One day Bestbuy email just stopped coming to my inbox and going to junk like they are supposed to do after I marked them as junk and blocked.

If it is just any kind of junk mail still coming to your inbox, sadly there really isn't an effective way to fix that. You can up the security to a higher blocking but then it will only allow emails on your contact list. I suppose you could create an email just to communicate with people on your contact list and another for everything else. But even emails that I have never used except for one thing still get junk. 

What really concerns me is that sometimes I will get emails for someone else with a similar email address. It makes me concerned for security since what happens if they get mine for password resets, or other things that might allow them to access my account.

Thanks for your comment. I am getting the same basic twenty junk e-mails, over and over again, for the last month, most of them from the geek squad email address, which is "hidden". [some common email senders or address lines are Verizon, T-Mobile, Public Records, American Airlines, Male Elongator, Silver Singles, Home Depot, McAfee, etc.) These are mostly coming from that geek squad address. Sometimes they are caught, sometimes not. It goes in waves. Some days, most will be caught, some days most will not and some days it's in between. Tough to make sense of it. Anyway, good luck with your own issues.
I get the same. Awoke to 14 in my inbox with sender hidden so it can’t be blocked really

@Zeromus 

Right after trying to "unsubscribe", I got 99 emails in less than one hour.  I just reported all 99 emails as junk and in less than 4 minutes received 31 more emails.  This is FRUSTRATING.  I would hate to have to delete my hotmail (and all outlook email accounts in the process) email account as I will have to change the address to a gmail addresss for everything I provided an email address for...  HOW COME THIS SPAM IS NOT STOPPED BY MICROSOFT???!!!!

Yup, I was blocking and got a lot more. I’m getting ones in my inbox with no email address. I have started sending those to junk. It’s getting out of hand truly
I was using outlook.com exclusively (deleted app on computer and app on phone) for a while and that helped. When the junk/phishing started getting by and going directly to my inbox I went exclusively to the desktop app and that worked very well for a week. I had to travel earlier this week and needed my email on my phone so i activated the app on the phone and that opened the floodgates again. Now that I am back home I deleted that from my phone and am using the desktop app exclusively again. Everything is seemingly being caught. So, for me, it seems that the app on the phone is the leaky piece.

@Teresa_Cyrus

Thank you for posting your solutions to this problem.  A variation of one of your solutions worked for me.  I added a Rule that Sender address includes @emailinfo.geeksquad.com is Moved to Junk Email.  I'm posting it here in case anyone wants to try it as another option.

Hi @Mark_M_New_York,

I am glad my post was helpful. Please mark it as the best response or like it, which will help others with the same question. As you can tell, handling Best Buy or Geek Squad spam has been a hot topic. 

Here is the link to the original response. Now others don't have to scan through 38 replies to get to it. :lol:

Re: Excessive Spam, Junk Mail from "geek squad" email address? - Microsoft Tech Community

Have a good day.

/Teresa
#traccreations4e