SOLVED

Outlook (365) Need Password - Issue

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We are using E3, outlook 365 in our company. Some of our users' outlook stop sync with exchange and ask for password, as shown in below image:

Password Issue - Copy.JPG

to fix the issue, I clear entries in Credential Manager, Delete Temporary Files, unchecked "Use Cached Exchange mode", restart system and check this again.

but after some couple of days, outlook again stop sync and ask for password.

I'll appreciate for any possible support to fix this issue permanently.

Thanks,     

129 Replies
Ok, found it Thank you. I followed that procedure and will watch it to see if the error returns. For me, any time I have fixed it, it would return in about a day and a half. I will report back in a few days. I appreciate the help!
Well, I thought we might actually have found a solution for this, but this morning the Need Password error showed up again. It worked for about 48 hours.

@Muhammad Ali Khan 

in my case all these magic did not helped. 

my motherboard was replaced recently, so the reason for the error was that outlook/office had a conflict, as my previous device has another Id. 

The solution was to remove „work & school accounts“ in windows control center and then outlook registered the same credentials again and it started working again. 

It would be much better, outlook would show the problem instead of immediately closing the prompt. 

@MazRashid Thank you for posting.  So are you saying that in Control Panel your launched the Mail icon and then removed the email account from your active Outlook profile?  Then what did you do? Restart the machine? Add the account back to the profile again?  

Thank you, 

Brett

@BEBakerHi,

To be precise, I went searched on windows task bar for "school" and selected "access to work or school account". A Dialog under Account/Access to work or school account" is shown.

There I removed all registered connections and then added them again.

Doing this registers the devive as a new device on Azure Active Directory and it did the trick for me.

I hope this helps
Maz

@MazRashid Thank you, Maz.  I have done the same thing.  In order to that, I encountered an error and was able to resolve the issue with a minor registry change.  But I am looking forward to seeing if this really resolves it.  It has been more than a year that I've been working on it with three different MS techs.

Brett

@MazRashid  UPDATE:  Well, I was pretty excited...I made these changes two days ago, and thought we just might have the solution.  But no, the error message "Need Password" just popped up in Outlook.

I am at a loss.

Brett

@BEBaker I have gone a couple weeks now and even though I followed the solution of eliminating the accounts in the Email & Accounts section of settings, both my system at work and at home have had the Need Password error return about every 48 hours requiring a system reboot.

Would love to hear if anybody has had any long-term success.

I have had long term success. This may not work for everyone. I was using M365 subscription software. Outlook kept asking Need password, could never get the box to come up to enter. Uninstalled 365 and installed Office Professional Plus 2019. Signed in with my personal Microsoft account. Now occasionally asks for password but sign in box appears, enter password and works. I think what's happening is the sign in box is being suppressed or blocked/stays minimised within Outlook. No idea why.
Yes, that is correct...the dialogue box where the password would be entered flashes for a millisecond and then disappears. I have the E3 subscription and have uninstalled office and reinstalled it a couple of times while working with three different MS technicians but to no avail. I have the 2016 currently installed. I will try the 2019 version. Thank you.
Please note Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019 is a perpetual software license, not an annual 365 subscription. But you can test with a free trial to see if this resolves issue before purchasing.

@Muhammad Ali Khan 

Kindly try this. Have worked most of the times.

Open Powershell (if not working normally then open as Admin), run the following command and then restart Outlook. Hope this helps. :)

• Add-AppxPackage -Register "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy\Appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode -ForceApplicationShutdown

@Terry_Lazer Thank you for your contribution to this issue. The password manager may be the issue for me as I use one. Thanks for the tip. I am still getting the login screen pop up on my Outlook quite a lot lately, but I am able to log  back in as I see the login screen. I will disable my password manager to see if it resolves the issue.

@BEBaker, except Outlook client, can you sign in OneDrive , Teams? If you cannot sign all of this, maybe you should check the TLS settnig in Edge, don' ask why I know it ,it's loog and sad story.

@Zhu_Hao  It is funny that you mention that.  With One Drive, I can log in, but although I have it set to launch when Windows starts automatically, I always have to launch and sign in manually.

With Teams, when I log out and then log back in, it always pre-populates the email login field with an email address that does not exist, and I have to delete it and enter the correct email address.

So both of those apps have sign-in issues.

Do you believe they are related?

Thank you very much,

BEB

@Satoshi Nishimura 

This advice allowed me to fix a similar issue my tech support team had been struggling with for two days with no end in sight.

thank you.

Tried the REG hacks. DID NOT WORK
Tried deleting/recreating profile. DID NOT WORK
What worked? Satoshi Nishimura's suggestion

"In my case, removing my Office 365 account from "Access work or school" (Settings > Accounts > Access work or school) on Windows 10 solved that issue. Then, I connected my Office 365 account again, it worked."

Go to WINDOWS SETTINGS (not Outlook Settings) and disconnect your account. Then log back in. WORKED LIKE A CHAMP!
Interesting. I followed that suggestion too when it was posted and it worked for a few days, but then the problem returned.

@BEBaker  I just applied the suggested fix not 20 minutes ago so I can't say I won't be back in the same position next week/month/year. But I now have an idea where the solution is...  :crossing_fingers:

Please keep us posted!