SOLVED

Conditional formatting for entire row based on data in one cell

Copper Contributor

I need all cells in a row to highlight a certain color if the data in one cell contains a specific word. 

What I specifically want is for an entire row to turn grey if the status cell contains the word "SHIPPED." I know how to make that specific cell highlight the color I want, but not the entire row of the sheet.

Thank you for your help!

105 Replies

@Ebony_T_0524 

Let's say you want to format rows from row 2 to row 100 that contain "sales" with possibly other text in column D.

Select rows 2 to 100.

The active cell in the selection should be in row 2, for example A2.

On the Home tab of the ribbon, click Conditional Formatting > New Rule...
Select 'Use a formula to determine which cells to format'.
Enter the formula

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("sales", $D2))

Click Format...
Activate the Fill tab.
Select a highlight color.
Click OK, then click OK again.

Worked perfectly. I only wanted to do certain columns in the row so I just switched the 'Applies to' to the columns I wanted.

Thanks Again
Sorry to pile on with new question, but you all have such great responses! I'm using =LEFT(FILTER(range,criteria,"")10) to list only the first 10 characters from a filtered list of employees. I then want to conditionally format $B1:$J800 when the results of $C1 ="Text". If I use CF when text contains "Text", it will successfully highlight the cells containing "Text", but won't highlight the entire row, even if applies to $B1:$J800. If I use a formula to CF, it's never true because the cell doesn't ="Text", it equals the Filter formula. Any advice?

@Renee Bugbee 

Select B1:J800. The active cell in the selection should be in row 1.

On the Home tab of the ribbon, click Conditional Formatting > New Rule...
Select 'Use a formula to determine which cells to format'.
Enter the formula

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Text",$C1))

Click Format...
Activate the Fill tab.
Select a highlight color.
Click OK, then click OK again.

You're Awesome Hans!!! Works like a charm.

Regarding your reply/solution at 1348 hrs on 29 Aug, 2019, here, ::

This didn't work. I wanted to highlight b1:e1 when there is some specific text in a1. I've typed this conditional formula: =A1="some_text" and applied it to this: =$B$1:$E$1000. But when there is desired value in a1, only b1 is highlighted. I've tried many tries. Thanks again.

@BathindaHelper 

Change the formula to

=$A1="some text"

The $ before the column letter A fixates the column, so that B1, C1, D1 and E1 all look at A1.

it also worked with me, thank you

@Sergei Baklan 

Hi Sergei, 

I am drawing blanks on a current issue I am having with the excel formatting (see snippet below). The table on the left side has over 4500 rows of hazardous material detail. I utilized a XLOOKUP formula for single row of data to automatically fill in the respective row on the large table by UN number. Is there a way to have this row automatically appear at the top so you don't have to scroll down. I highlighted the PSN, but would still have the row get filtered to the top. I hope I got the message across. Thank you! 

Cam_Mango205_0-1704210707634.png

@AUSTXCHICK 

Take a look at this 5 minute video instead of searching this page for half an hour :

https://youtu.be/XHT4paRaY4g                 Excel Conditional Formatting with Formula | How to Get it RIGHT Every Time

Join 400,000+ professionals in our courses here 👉 https://link.xelplus.com/yt-d-all-courses Learn the art of Conditional Formatting in Excel using formulas! This tutorial shows you how to dynamically format cells and rows based on other cell values, perfect for enhancing your Excel skills. ⬇️ ...

@Sergei Baklan 

I need to be able to highlight A4 if E4:Q4 does not contain "R". I know how to do it for finding a value but not for not finding it. I have tried putting NOT in front of my formula but did not work.

MEdwards26_0-1706136170249.png

@MEdwards26 

Try

=COUNTIF(E4:Q4,"*R*")=0

or

=ISERROR(SEARCH("R",E4:Q4))

Thank you very much. Particularly the last sentence of your answer that explained the reason as well. Thanks again. You people are really great.

@AUSTXCHICK   thank you so much.  saved me a lot of aggro!

lifesaver! Thanks a lot!
so I am using version 16.66.1 and trying to do the same. So in column A (for say 100 rows) I want to highlight using the following format. If i put a 1 I want the row to be green. 2=yellow 3=white (no fill) or 4 is red. I am struggling to figure that out.
Hello,

This a great learning thread.
I have a similar problem to solve. I have ColumnA of char data (ABC for example). I have another ColumnB of unique char data as reference. I want to highlight each row that contains a match with anyone one of the ColumnB reference values. I assume ColumnB needs to go on a separate tab?
Thank you!
Hi Sergei! I used this to highlight the entire row if the columns from B to CP contain the specific texts I'm looking for. I also wanted to use the "AND" function as I'm looking for more than 1 text. But this didn't work for me. Is there another formula for this? Thanks!

@dionne103 

For such range

image.png

if you'd like to highlight rows with BOTH abc and xyz conditional formatting rule formula could be

=SUMPRODUCT(  ($B2:$H2="abc") + ($B2:$H2="xyz") ) >= 2

, as

image.png