Double Numbering

Copper Contributor

I am using the Page Numbering to format my book. Which the program does for the intended portion of the book I'd like numbered. My problem is that the Foreward, Prologue, and Table of Contents are also formatted with Page Numbering with numbering that isn't correct. But that's not the problem. I'd like to erase the page numbering for the pre-book text. I have tried the remove the number from the formatting but it doesn't make the number delete. So, I have six pages that are numbered and I don't want them to be and can't make them go away and the rest of the book is formatted great. Thanks.

3 Replies

@dthomasbruner You need to insert a Section Break to separate the first six pages from the rest of your document and in the Section AFTER the Section Break, unlink the Header and or Footer from those in the first Section of the document so that you can delete the page numbering in the first Section without affecting the page numbering in the balance of the document.

For more details on the process, see 

http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/FrontMatterRibbon.htm

Thank you so much, Doug. It works. I'm finding the same problem with the Footer, though, its text only, but still appearing on the first six pages. I de-connected the 1st page from the previous six, but the problem still persists. Any advice?

@dthomasbruner You need to go to Footer in Section 2 of the document and unlink it from the Footer in Section 1 so that you can delete the text from the Footer in Section 1 without it also being deleted from the Footer of Section 2.

Each of the various Headers and Footers (First Page, Primary or Odd, and Even) need to be treated in the same way if they are used.