Sharepoint Column Name Issue

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have created a list on SharePoint. After that I renamed the list and renamed a few columns as well. Also I have renamed the Site. Now when I am trying to access this list in my PowerApps and Power Automate Flows. I am getting an abnormal behavior. For a few columns I am getting the names as "field1", "field2",...….. etc.

Why is this happening?

How Can I get rid of this issue?

2 Replies

Hi, @GovindPrajapat 

The reason why you are seeing "field1", "field2", etc. for a few columns in your PowerApps and Power Automate Flows is because SharePoint stores the actual column names in a hidden property called the Internal Name. When you rename a column, SharePoint only changes the Display Name of the column. The Internal Name remains the same.

To get the actual column name, you can use the following steps:

1. Go to the list settings page for the list that contains the renamed columns.
  2. Click on the Columns tab.
  3. Click on the name of the column that you want to get the internal name for.
  4. The internal name of the column will be displayed in the URL of the page, after the Field= parameter. For example, if the column name is "Name", the internal name will be Field=Name.

Once you have the internal names of the columns, you can use them in your PowerApps and Power Automate Flows.

To get rid of the issue, you can either:

• Recreate the list and rename the columns again. This will reset the Internal Names of the columns to the new names.
  • Use the internal names of the columns in your PowerApps and Power Automate Flows.

Here are some additional resources that you may find helpful:

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

@GovindPrajapat Did you create a new SharePoint list by importing the excel/csv file?

SharePoint creates columns with internal names like field_1, field_2 etc. in case if you create new list by importing the excel file.

Unfortunately, you cannot change the names for the column after creating the columns/list. If you rename/change the column names, it will only change the display name of columns and not internal names.

Hence, you see the column names like field_1, field_2, etc. in the Power Apps. Check: How to find the Internal name of columns in SharePoint Online? 

To avoid this, you might need to create a new list using "Blank list" option with proper names (check guidelines for names in above link) and then import the data from excel using Power automate flow.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.