Advanced Search in SPO

Iron Contributor

I can't see how to open the Advanced Search feature in modern SharePoint Online? Does it still exist? Googling for help talks about that feature in non-modern sites at least.

Or the ultimate question… How do I search for all documents older than a given date?

4 Replies

Hi @Alan McFarlane,

The old style advanced search is not (yet) available withn the new style.

The closest you can get to this is using the Highlighted content web part and set a filter on a date managed property.

Can you give me some steps to do that?

I'm still on the learning curve to fully understanding SharePoint ― assuming that's a reachable target. :-,)

Understanding SharePoint is always difficult after many years of SharePoint I'm still not always understanding all of it. ;)

The quick instruction on creating a web part that shows older than X documents:

First go to the SharePoint admin center.

Go to search

Click on manage Search Schema

Find Refinabledate00 managed property ( check in the Mapped Crawled property that it hasn't been mapped yet, otherwise go for 01, or 02 or .....)

Edit Refinabledate00 and map the property in the Mappings to crawled properties section to the ows_Modified crawled property.

Now to trigger a search crawl you will need to go to the site . In the modern sites there isn't much you can do other than go to a library -> Library settings -> Advanced settings -> Reindex Document Library.

Go to a modern page where you want to add the web part ( e.g. /SitePages/Home.aspx)

Click on Edit  (top right)

Click on a + to add web parts

webpartsAdd.PNG

Select the HighLighted content 

When the webpart appears click on the pencil to edit the web part properties.

In the filter and sort section:

Select Managed Property and select RefinableDate00. Select Before and supply a date.

Now you should find that the results will appear at some point. But as this depends on SharePoint search there may be a delay.

Eeeee. That's a lot of steps. I'll see if I get the time to try that. :-,)

Is there another way to do the advanced search? Can I just type the advanced syntax? Or get back to the old format to see it.

Thanks