SOLVED

Configuring Primary Cost Constraints to Develop Portfolio Analysis

Copper Contributor

I'm a new user to MS Project but have used other PMP tools. I'm trying to get initial configuration of the tool up for my new company, but have struggled with developing a portfolio analyses due to no available options in the "Analysis Primary Cost Constraint" field in the portfolio setup. I've tried to apply project costs in as many ways as I thought could be possible but still nothing. I'm using a P5 license, have tried developing custom cost fields and applying them to projects. I'm sure there is something obvious I'm missing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Portfolio Analysis cap.png

4 Replies
best response confirmed by KyleKWX (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
If you wish to use a custom field the field must be an enterprise custom field on the project level and of type cost

@malshayeb Thank you! I was tying the custom field to the task and resource entities, not project. One final follow up question. I've applied that custom field into a few test projects to see what I get and although the custom cost field has data applied, I'm not seeing that project cost when running the portfolio analysis.

Project Cost Pic.png

Ugh... realized you just key the cost detail directly into the portfolio analysis. Really thought the project task and resource allotment at the project level would drive this.
you can, but you need to have the proper setup, i think this guide would be helpful https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/projectonline/portfolio-analysis-overview
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by KyleKWX (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
If you wish to use a custom field the field must be an enterprise custom field on the project level and of type cost

View solution in original post