Mobile app Sub folder notifications

Brass Contributor

We have pushed all our users to use Outlook mobile apps on iOS and Android, however many are complaining that they have created rules on the Outlook desktop client to put emails in certain sub folders (i.e. all emails from my manager go into a sub folder) and not getting notifications. As the email is moved to the folder before it gets to the client, the mobile apps do not display a notification.

As a work around I've had to set up some Flows so that if email received from a certain email address, it displays a notification. The user can then open Outlook and go to the relevant folder. Its not pretty.

This seems like a basic feature, its available in the iOS and Android stock mail apps which most used before we pushed them to Outlook.

Any plans on the mobile apps to have notifications for sub folders?

92 Replies

I cannot believe this is an issue from that far back? 

I've tried several things without any luck.  Bottom line, Outlook App doesn't give notifications for new emails that go to specific folders (because of rules that have been created).

Any ideas? Is there a way to keep an email in the inbox for some time prior to moving it to a specific folder?  Maybe all we need is for the App to see the email in the inbox.  

This is very frustrating, as those emails in folders are more important that the genera inbox.

@RickyG 

I have an idiotic workaround for getting the notifications:

1. change the rule that moves the mail to the sub-folder to copy the mail not move it
  2. create a second rule that will assign a category to that mail and then delete it (or permanently delete it)
  3. in the Rules and Alerts make sure that the first rule is above and the second rule below

The result is that the mail will go to the corresponding sub-folder and your mobile will get the notification (if not try to add more tasks to the second rule..like "clear message's categories etc) ..however the mail (since it is deleted) will not open from your mobile... you will have to drill down to the sub-folder.

I told ya it was idiotic xD

@Andrew Sparks Seems Crazy to think that Microsoft have not even acknowledged this very significant issue and basic requirement. I've had to remove folders and rules as it has adversely effected my work. 

I'm currently speaking to our IT department to try to move away from Outlook, and move to more client friendly platforms such as Gmail. Who's app has this feature, and has excellent client response times.  

Bumpin

@Lelouch Thanks for sharing this solution. It is incredible!

Hello
I have also stupid workaround.
if u check "display a Desktop Alert" in your Rule in Desktop Outlook, then I will get notification also on Android Outlook, however, if I click on an email from notification, my inbox folder will open and I need to go manually to a folder, but at least getting notification.
https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/outlook/2308-outlook-alert-subfolder.html

@Andrew Sparks 

I am truly disappointed as this is still an issue after 3 yrs. 

@Andrew Sparks 

The sub folders (or favourite mailboxes in Apple terminology) did give out notifications for new mails on iOS 12 and iOS 13 native mail app.

Hi everyone,
I don't know if Microsoft watches these forums, and the original post was only liked 10 times (i've added my "like" -> now 11).
Also, I have just sent a message to Microsoft support, asking them to look into it, hopefully this triggers some attention and a resolution.

me again, I quickly got a response from the support, and they suggested to raise a feedback/request. This gets done directly within the Outlook mobile app, I suggest that anyone seeing this thread should raise such a feedback:

Currently, the app gives notification only for emails that lands on the Inbox. 
Help us improve the app by submitting your feedback. Just go to the App's Settings → Help & Feedback → Send Feedback. Select "I Have a Suggestion" to request for that particular feature you like. Developments are made based on the statistics generated by the users in this area, so don't forget to voice your wishes there.

and this is what I raised, feel free to copy paste when sending you own feedback:

Please enhance the iOS/Android Outlook apps, so that notifications get produced, even for emails that land in folders/sub-folders (as per Rules setup in the desktop Outlook client). A lot of users have requested this feature for years, so this forum thread for example: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook/mobile-app-sub-folder-notifications/m-p/299018

Thank you so much! Will do. Hope this feature can be enhanced soon.

@CoRe23 This was by far the easiest solution, and worked like it was the intended manner for this all along.

To expand on Core's solution: when creating a rule in the DESKTOP outlook, follow the below:

- Select your choice from the first three options as always.

- Under "Do the Following"

-- Select Display In The New Item Alert Window

-- Select Move The Item To Folder:

-- Select your desired folder

-- Click OK

For existing rules:

-Click Rules

-Manage Rules and Alerts

-Highlight all rules (select the first, scroll to the bottom, hold shift and select the last to highlight all)

-Click Change Rule

-Click Display In The New Item Alert Window

-Give the alert a name - literally doesn't matter what it is

-Click Apply

-Click Done

And you're done. Your phone will now get notifications for subfolder emails, and opening the notification will take you to the email.

It took less than a minute to setup, and worked perfectly, which is why I think this is the actual intended means for this to happen.

Nice, now is there a way to do this from the actual phone's APP. and I would be very disappointed if the app was built around the concept of having to create a rule to be advised when an email comes in, even if this email is treated by a rule. It should be the other way around and specify explicitly if you do NOT want to be notified.
4 years later and no one still has this feature!

The ONLY place where I get notifications emails that have rules to subfolders is on my Apple Watch. Not even the iPhone that it's synced with notifies me...
@Ali_az
this actually worked
i used the new email comes "V3" (guess for 365 accounts)
told it to look at a specific folder (which i already had it route emails with my name or to me directly too)
and then told it to send a push notification.

from the few tests i did, it is nearly instant now i guess just quicker now after a year+

had 2 problems with it but figured them out.
1st problem i ran in to was with the "Power Automate" and logging in on my phone, the web page was fine and no issues there, just the phone. it required the M$ authenticator app but did not mention it just 'an error logging in' but never triggered failed log in attempts from what i could tell. resolved by setting up the app and then could get power auto working.
2nd was getting the notifications to actually do something (noise vibrate, etc) for when i have the phone sitting down. it would trigger silent notifications, which don't do anything. found a feature on my S10+ for notification reminders and now i get a noise 3 minutes later after i got the first notification. (also on android there is a notification reminder app that is nice as well. )

but after like 4 combined hours of playing it is working and good enough for what i need, thank you.
Please try this solution guys, it's simple and it works
These workarounds are just ridiculous for a basic feature. Even though this is called Outlook, it's clear this is not an enterprise application. It's not even a small business application. Microsoft isn't even trying. This app is probably fine for home users, but it shouldn't be called "Outlook". Remember, you get what you pay for.. and this is free.

If you want a fully functional, full featured email client with all of the features of desktop outlook.. look into AquaMail or Nine. I use both and both are fantastic. They are the only still supported, full featured apps I've found that sync select subfolders and are not proprietary and tied to a specific brand (apple, Samsung). Nine offers full mdm integration for true enterprises. The downside.. neither are free.
The only issue I have found with this is that it is "Client Only" and according to the pop-up window, means it will only run if the Outlook client is running. My issue (along with many other folks) is that I want the notification to alert on mobile. Does this solution actually force the mobile notification? Or is it specific to Outlook on Desktop only?
The simplest workaround I can find is to set the rule to COPY to Folder instead of Move, very messy inbox and double storage essentially, however you would receive all notification as the original mail is still in inbox
3+ years later
3rd most popular discussion in Outlook Forum
Almost 73,000 views
Still not fixed... WHY?

We shouldn't have to use a workaround to do something basic that such a widely used app made by a $2 Trillion company should already do.