SOLVED

OneDrive taking up space on C drive

Steel Contributor

My OneDrive is taking up a lot of space on my C drive. I thought OneDrive was in the Cloud. Did I set it up wrong? Any tips or ideas on how to save space on my C drive when I am using OneDrive? Thanks!

41 Replies

@MarkPIa 

Same issues here.  OneDrive is garbage.  Impossible to comprehend, replicates files on any drive you happen to have, and the worst part of it is that it can only sync files on the C:\ drive!  So if you (like me and most others with relatively recent computers) have a limited space SSD for your C drive, then you are out of luck.

I spent a few hours on the phone with Microsoft support in the last two days, and they came up with the same answer: "Sorry Bub!  That's the way we designed it".  So I'm uninstalling OneDrive and buying a subscription to Google Drive.

@tkendall1 Sorry to hear of your woes. I don't understand why any one has any trouble with OneDrive. It is a sensational product that works extremely well. You can easily store the OneDrive folders on another drive - I do this and it is well documented how it can be done. A simple Google search will show you how. 

@Jeff Parker 

I find OneDrive extremely confusing.  But I hail from a time before GUIs when DOS was king.  I learned to manage files as actual *files* located on actual physical drives in my possession.  Not psuedo things that are just pointers to something somewhere.  "Cloud" storage seems like a straightforward enough concept.  And I've come to understand it well enough in the Google Drive incarnation.  But OneDrive?  Not a chance.

Windows lies.  It doesn't tell you real pathnames.  It keeps bundling up groups of files into "libraries" designed to confuse and obfuscate.  Want to add a file to some nice, logical tree structure carefully constructed in your D:\ drive?  Go for it.  But then the damned thing pops up in the most unexpected places because Windows is trying to outsmart you and builds pointers to it all over the place.  And heaven help you if you try to apply some sense of order by deleting any of those pointers: it's delete the actual file!

OneDrive just complicates matters further by adding another layer of redirection and obfuscation.  Please don't misunderstand me:  Apple is even worse.  In a world where people refuse to learn basic operating system principles and demand to be spoon-fed "point-and-click" menus, software engineers really have no choice.

And so those of us who actually bothered to learn some modicum of coding and operating system protocols (even if it was Fortran, Assembler, and DOS) are stuck with huge mountains of overhead and chaos.

Fortunately memory and storage space is cheap, and I don't need a whole lot.  So I'm scrapping the mass of confusion known as "cloud computing" and "sync"ing, and sticking with a trusted flash drive for file transfers, and Carbonite for a bullet-proof secure off-site backup.

I think I've made the same mistake as so many others. We assume OneDrive is just another drive only located in the cloud. WRONG!!! Oh that it were so simple. Life would be good. What irks me is that MS doesn't come clean and explain what it really is in plain English and why it will help us. Instead they treat us like morons or lemmings rather. They say, forget what you are trying to do. Just do what we tell you, don't ask questions because we won't give you answers you can understand only platitudes. Just trust Big Brother. This is how Big Brother intends to rule the world.
Before reading this, I almost permanently deleted all my files from my C:\OneDrive not knowing that it would have deleted everything from my OneDrive too! OMG! My whole life would have been lost. What is the sense of having OneDrive if the files are going to be stored on you C:Drive anyway? SMH. Microsoft you need to hire American workers who use these applications on a daily basis.

Yeah, that sure is not the behavior you would expect from onedrive.  I do not think that Microsoft does a good job explaining how and why onedrive behaves the way it does.  I do not rely on Onedrive or my Google drive as my only source for my data.  I back up everything to a thumb drive.  But because of the amount of data I now have stored on onedrive, I only perform a full backup about every 2 months.  I guess I need to stop being lazy and set it up so it does an incremental backup. One area I found confusing is all the little status icons that can be next to each file.  Microsoft likes to add all types unnecessary bloat to Windows.  Now, when you hover over the file, a bubble will pop up telling you what the status is.  I just do not know why sometimes it says Sync pending.  Not sure some of my folders always say this.  if I right click on onedrive at the lower right hand side of my task bar, it says onedrive is all set.  Yet some of my folders and files say a sync is pending.  Very confusing.  @Elsie2724 

My naïve experience with OneDrive reminds me of a favorite farside cartoon of a momma bear holding two small skulls and talking to her cubs. "Ok, one more time and it's off to bed for the both of you...'Hey, Bob. Think there are any bears in this old cave?'...'I dunno, Jim. Let's take a look.' "

OneDrive might be more of a replication service for small amounts of data and small files. It takes cache to do this. Make a change and the file propagates to other configured locations. It's not a backup. Deleting it anywhere deletes it everywhere - so it increases the risk of a lost file. However, there is a chance you can undelete it via the web access to OneDrive. (I did that to get back my files when I tried to get out of OneDrive and thought I could delete something in one place and not affect the other.)

DFS replication is more efficient. An enterprise is not going to double or triple the size of SANs for a DFS cache.

My experience years ago with $2K TB SSD drive was not fun. I needed a lot of fast storage for media and building/running VMs. It was a surprise when my drive filled up. (There was the original 400GB on C, 400 GB in a cache on C, and the 400 GB in the cloud.) I can't run VMs from the cloud, so I had to keep the local copy and remove the cache. When I tried to disentangle, I lost files and time...a lot of time...trying to undo the damage. I still see OneDrive as a risk to data and productivity.

I might be willing to use it for a small PowerShell profile. If run scripts on different machines, the same profile would be available in other location. However, linking my OneDrive to a servers is scary. So, in the end, I really wish OneDrive was not entangled with my work. I noticed that my powershell profile paths are already to the OneDrive path...without my wanting them there. I have lost control and understanding of my development environment. I'd uninstall it, but I am afraid to do so.

@Jeff Parker I have trouble understanding that if I want to backup some folders from my internal D: drive, they take up space on my C: drive? Why can't MS let us decide how to use their cloud storage? I just want some space to make a backup for some of my folders...let me take care of my own syncing...

I'm having the same issue. I have two notebooks. The 8-year-old PC is fine, not automatically linked to OneDrive. The new notebook I got about 10 months ago came with OneDrive integrated so thoroughly into the hard drive that you can't tell where OneDrive begins and your own C drive ends. The lines are completely blurred. The easiest thing to do I found is to go into OneDrive Settings and in the pop-pup window, under the Account tab and click on Unlink this PC. BUT when I did that, suddenly, I hardly had any space left on my PC because it seemed like what's on my OneDrive loaded onto the C-drive. That's what happened in my case. You can try that and see if it does on your PCs. It's insidious.

This article may be useful:  What Is OneDrive and How to Stop It From Taking Over Your Computer? 

@Bobapingu I have the same dilemma and it sucks that Microsoft's developer's never thought this through properly.  I have now a heck of a job sorting out my data because of this.

I moved all files to d drive - it re-created again in my profile on c-drive I tried deleting all online after downloading to a new  HHD directory separate to OneDrive, then separately moved all the new c-drive files to the HDD directory so as to compare the files, delete the copies not needed and compare and then delete the unwanted copy, this with the intent that I can then reorganize back to the cloud as I want, but no this doesn't work either. now I have multiple versions etc snd still apparent or phantom copies are being created without my direction.  Not only that but now all my mailmerged files are screwed up because of the change in locations (loads of work now there to do to correct that - not happy) also because I have had to continue generating documents, and work on files etc in the meantime I now don't know exactly where my latest version of good files are, and by opening up other files to see if they are the version I want it compounds the issue further

This is disasterous - shame on you Microsoft. yo should not b in control of my data to my detrimenmt and that is the case

It is similar with Icloud and Dropbox because of the sync process and the way the preority thinking has been done by the programmers

when I eventually get a resolve I will post trhe safe method

Hi,my onedrive is taking up storage and I selected my files but it didn't work,do I delete the files? Or do I wait

@EarthPenguin861 

It's dangerous to delete files unless you really don't want them but if you really don't want them then delete them in the OneDrive folder.  I've given up trying to make OneDrive do what I want.  I've yielded to Microsoft and set my entire OneDrive folder to "view online".  You still see all your files listed on your HD but these are just place markers taking up little space.  When you select a file from OneDrive, it downloads the file to its place marker on the HD while you work on it.  Some time after you have finished with it, it gets uploaded back to the cloud and deleted off the HD leaving just the file name.  It seems to work.  Others might want to be more precise.

Wow, I was surprised to see many disgrantled users of One Drive, I thought I was the only one. Why doesn't Microsoft address these issues?

1. I found documents on One Cloud that I could care less about (auto safe I guess...?)

2. Docs That I wanted saved are not there

3. One drive sucking up C drive memory, thought I clicked stop using internal memory on the options

4. I always forced to desktop the saving of some docs and when I realized they went to a one drive desktop (why is that existing..?) I tried to copy them unto the real C desktop but the folders would be empty.How can I tranfer them when I see them in one drive but then only the folder shows empty on C? thanks for the help @Bobapingu 

@Tim Hunter Hi a bit late but if you locate scanpst.exe and run that, (make sure the ost has not been renamed by the system to ost.corrupt - if it has either back up that and rename it back to .ost) and scanpst should find it offer to back it up then try and repair it. Depending on the state of the ost it may repair it and all will then work as usual. 

@IT_Expert_Guru WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT OF ONE DRIVE IF IT IS TAKING UP LOCAL SPACE ON MY F*CKING COMPUTER. ARE YOU PEOPLE SERIOUS?

@Michael_B2325 Yes, they are serious.  Think of One Drive as replication, not an extra drive.  Replication requires overhead, takes space to cache, and can be slow.  I made the mistake of using one drive thinking that I could save some space.  I needed a few 100 GB, so I tried to moved 300 GB of seldom used hyper-v virtual machines to one-drive.  However, this caused another 300 GB of local use to store a copy in cache.  I had to spend a lot of time to reverse that before I could get back to work.  It's very risky to undo because a simple delete deletes it everywhere.  (There is a place to get back deleted files in the cloud, fortunately.)  If I want to be confused and risk losing something, I will use OneDrive.  It was also really annoying when OneDrive silently replaced some of my local PowerShell directories with OneDrive directories.  I spend a bit of time figuring out how to disable OneDrive.  It can be uninstalled.  (It's been a while since I did this.) 

If you need more drive space, I think it is possible to trick trick OneDrive into keeping something without having a local copy.  I think it's annoying to do.  It think it's safer and easier to get a real drive (either locally or in cloud) and avoid OneDrive.  OneDrive might be fine for some, but it's too intrusive/mysterious for me.  I use the free veeam agent for windows for backup, so I really don't need the extra "safety."

So I i'm paying for 1T of cloud storage .well let me transfer 50 gigs of images/avi files.....wait a min.... I dont have what? enough memory(WTF) on my C; drive...this is the part you keep quiet about knowing anything about computers....

explain this to anyone who knows how to think

@jacqueswilliam You don't buy a copier to save paper.  You don't use OneDrive to save storage.  You don't use OneDrive to share what should not be shared.  

1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage makes it easy to replicate copies of your files between devices.  It can be convenient not to have to manually copy files between computers.  (For example, my Steam game files are in sync between 2 of my computers via a Steam service.  I can play on either computer without losing my place in the game.  Game save files are small, so it works well.)  OneDrive is not so great for those that have very large files.  That 500 GB file can be on your local drive on the disk in the "real" location and in the cache.  A copy is also in the cloud.  If the file is deleted, it's still in the cloud and can be undeleted.  (This saved me in my first attempts to regain control of my files.)  And copies can be on any other device you use that has OneDrive enabled.  

What scares me a little is my remote logins to servers.  What if someday something happens and OneDrive wants to sync something that will do damage to the server.  Oh, my experimental PowerShell profile magically is being used on a server...how convenient of it to load that experimental module and use it for maintenance on a production server.  For developers, I wonder if Visual Studio files can be shared that are specific to that instance of the IDE setup.  I would think it would be a nightmare for a TFS workspace.  (I use only one machine for development, so I would not know.)  Do you trust OneDrive to know what to sync and not sync?  

Because I have no interest in understanding OneDrive internals or in becoming an expert OneDrive administrator, I uninstalled it.  Problem solved.  Life is better now.  I do like the idea of having computers in sync so that I can work on either.  I don't like the idea of having them in sync and not being able to work on either.  

PS I ran out of space because of my initial misunderstanding of OneDrive. My PowerShell scripts also starting failing because OneDrive changed the environment paths to use OneDrive directories. It was very confusing to sort out. I lost days of productivity.

@Randoid 

15th November 2022

Well, here’s something to make Onedrive members feel better - I have a music creation interest, and it generates quite a bit data in the form of half-Gb GarageBand files.  Typical size.

Apple’s marvellous rival to Onedrive is iCloud you probably know.  Here’s what makes me think they work from the same hymn sheet these two goliaths…iCloud filled up my PC drive (my expensive, hard-bought 2Tb SSD I fitted to aid my ageing PC).

I don’t mean took 150Gb, I mean FILLED it up.  It had half a Tb free to start with, then I syncd to iCloud…which immediately set about copying every file I created, onto the biggest drive it found on my local network, my lovely new SSD drive.

As the free space dwindled to about 100Gb, I realised what was happening - GarageBand files, completely useless beyond doubt on a PC, were being copied incessantly by the iCloud algorithm without mercy.  It would have completely choked and finally blocked my machine starting up even, had I not taken drastic action.

Long story short and omitting days of support chats with Apple in California, there’s no fix.  Really, no fix whatever.  I de-syncd the PC from iCloud.  I lost irreplaceable music I created.  iCloud, a supposed backup system, acted like a virus would, some viruses actually use the self-same principle of filling up a drive with crud, until the machine simply stops and will NEVER in practice, boot up.

This was because, iCloud at the time had LIMITLESS boundaries, of copying these so-called ‘recently used files for your convenience’ (!).

I am here, because I am looking at Office 365 family, and trying to see what problems there might be.  It’s not as bad, unless you guys all caught it before it got worse.  But really, GarageBand is famously Mac and iOS/iPadOS only.  Apple know a PC can NEVER make use of GB files.  Each GB file is really a clutch of files, that make up a GB song.  It’s just a shorthand way of referring to this clutch of files.  I think there’s 8 and they end in ‘xxx.band’ or something.  but a PC could never do anything with such a file.

So I bought iCloud storage, 2Tb of it, and Apple’s idea is to use my own storage.  So it’s selling my own space back to me?  That’s sort of what happened.

One last ‘it got worse’ moment…I dared to manually copy about 100Gb of files as my ipad was running low on SSD, nearing its max of 512Gb.  Apple don’t say, but below 55Gb free space on an iPad Pro, music apps go wrong a lot, especially their baby DAW, GarageBand.

So I cleared this 100Gb off, checked it was on the 2Tb iCloud I pay for every month, then deleted the originals.  I also made copies on SD cards, just in case, which was another £70 or so…

I shut the ipad Pro down, and made tea.  I returned to check (old IT man’s habit), before I turned in for the night, and the iPad Pro 2 had sprouted a lot of files, and its storage was being taken up.  Long story short again, as soon as I de-sync’d my PC, the iCloud algorithm went hunting the next-biggest SSD in my system, and targeted my iPad Pro 2 SSD.

Yes, it began to fill it up remorselessly, just like the PC, to breaking point.  It determinedly ‘mirrored’ the self-same files I had just offloaded, straight back on, to where they’d come from.

I termed this, iCloud fighting back.  It had an adverse reaction, and took merciless action against the customer daring to use an online drive, in a totally obvious manner - to avoid buying a grand’s worth of new Apple equipment ie replacing my old ipad.  iCloud actively prevented me gaining advantage from the 1.4Tb of free space, still available on iCloud.

this is why icloud's so cheap - it fights you to the death if you try to actually use all of it.

Following this fiasco, and me making quite a bit of fuss on youtube and on the apple community, which attracted some nasty trolls/Apple fanboys who took exception to my criticism that iCloud was ‘squatting’ on my SSD space uninvited, Apple have limited the iCloud for now, to ‘only’ take 20% or so of the user’s SSD.  It’s still uninvited.

And once it happens, it’s pretty much for life.  I cannot seem to get rid of the 100Gb I shoved onto the iCloud, NOR have I really stopped iCloud from shoving a mirror-image onto my SSD.  I simply bought an iPad Pro M1 with 2Tb to put the problem into abeyance.  so there you go - Apple as a money-making machine works.

One final thought - and the trolls hated this as well - Apple says that the efforts to do what iCloud did, are ‘recent files placed on your local drive for your convenience’ and moreover this work will be done ‘when the user is not needing the device’ or some such, which is to say ‘the device is plugged in (charging) and the screen is off, and activity is low’.

Now, I call that, secretly doing stuff while the user’s not looking.  Stuff the user might not like if they realised what was happening.

So not only does iCloud fight back, prepared to break your use of the device it’s meant to be helping you to manage the data of, but it tries hard to do this in secret, a few files at a time.  It buries this data it’s pointlessly mirrored back, under ‘iCloud’ in the ‘settings/storage’ facility you can look at…oh hang on, it doesn’t any more, that’s right, Apple changed it so this shoved-back data, forced on the user’s local SSD, is no longer obvious, and sticks it under ‘apps’ heading instead.  !!!

So I cannot say I am pleased with what’s happened with iCloud, I don’t like being used as a guinea pig and I don’t like the way youtuber influencers, carefully pick their way around this mess, while extolling the virtues of Apple’s ecosystem.

But, there actually is a dearth of such videos.  The few there are, actually skip on to how it’s more convenient or whatever, to have a local portable SSD of your own, that you can save your music and other big files to.  I call that, tiptoe-ing around the truth.  these guys know full-well what nasty habits icloud gets up to, and if they don’t they ought to.

This is billed as AI, this iCloud.  It’s absolutely merciless, is all I know.

So, in conclusion, don’t feel too bad, nobody seems to want to give users a ‘DRIVE D:’ up in the cloud it seems.  This business of syncing to local drives, is a cover for offloading your files to your own device space, so the servers of their cloud don’t do all the storage they otherwise would have to.

I am still looking at Onedrive, because it’s a mandatory part of Office 365 Family.  I have concerns at not just one but TWO large corporate Clouds, being given licence to lay waste to my SSDs.  And Apple’s SSD of course, runs at about 4 to 10x the cost per Gb of any other Gb you can buy (when you spec it to be on the iPad or Mac Mini M1 or whatever, you purchase).

Interesting insights from you people in this discussion, I hope I have helped make it clear, MicroSoft’s One Drive is not exceptionally punitive, it’s just typical !  

Take care all.

irm/rg