Onedrive Storage useage randomly exceeding 30GB

Copper Contributor

Good Morning all,

first post in this community!

I have wierd Onedrive isue that has started this morning.

My email inbox is unable to receive anymore emails due to storage capacity is full in Onedrive.  I have check email storage and this is well below the 15gb allowance that i have.

After searching the internet of common solutions, I am unable to see what is causing the huge amount of data to fill this drive.  i have checked the two PC's that I have my MS account associated with and these are both well below the 5gb limit.

I have put a screen shot below, there is no link that shows "see whats taking up space" which i have seen on older posts.

I am baffled to see whats causing this issue, any help would be grately appreciated.

ItIsGee_0-1698658823351.png

2 Replies

Hi ItIsGee,

The Outlook Desktop app and OneDrive sync app services are not directly related to each other.

Action plan:
- Open OneDrive Online (https://onedrive.live.com/login) and check its content.

- Check which folders are synced to OneDrive (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/choose-which-onedrive-folders-to-sync-to-your-computer-98...).
- Run Treesize free on your PC's to check which folders or files are taking up space on your hard drives. Also, possibly your Outlook OST file has reached its maximum size?

As a workaround, you can temporarily check your emails via Outlook on the web.

@ItIsGee 

Welcome to microsoft community, my name is Recep i'll be happy to help you today

1. The issue is that the onedrive is automatically backing up files from your computer, so you can stop it by preventing it from automatically backing up files,

2. Then free up space by permanently deleting the files you don't need on your onedrive

3. From what i can see you are using a personal onedrive so you can increase the plan by paying for more storage.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please give it a Like :smile:

Appreciate your Kudos! Proud to contribute! :)