Microsoft OneDrive processing all the files after Sonoma update, incredibly slow process?

Copper Contributor

I run OneDrive on a Macbook Pro with Sonoma.

But after updating to Sonoma, OneDrive is now processing changes to my 1 million files. It starts by counting all the files and then count down again as it processes changes, but no files has been changed.

It takes hours and hours when counting down - some of the times even days.

I have tried deleting, resetting and only to synk one of the SharePoints but that did not help. Soon after counting af syncing, it will start counting again making SharePoint almost useless.

It is so frustrating as it does not sync my OneDrive files with the other users.

The files are from various SharePoints at my job.

Any ideas how to speed up the process or how to aviod it in the future? Or is this a know issue with Sonoma?

Picture is of my OneDrive window.Skærmbillede 2023-11-03 kl. 10.37.30.png

2 Replies

@Damgaard75 

welcome to the Microsoft community, my name is Recep I'll be happy to help you today.

I can understand how frustrating it is when your files are not syncing properly.

this seems to be a known issue with OneDrive on macOS Big Sur, which is the operating system that Sonoma is based on. Some possible solutions are:

- Mark the file as "Always Keep on this device" if you opened an online file and are using Files On-Demand.
- Pause and resume your sync to clear the queue of files.
- Move large files such as email data files or videos out of your OneDrive storage folders, or choose not to sync folders that have large files in them.
- Delete any OneDrive log files titled "aria-debug" that may be blocking sync.
- Reset OneDrive by running a command in the Terminal app.
- Reinstall OneDrive from the Mac App Store or the Microsoft website.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please give it a Like :smile:

Appreciate your Kudos! Proud to contribute! :)

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please give it a Like :smile:

Appreciate your Kudos! Proud to contribute! :)

@Deleted 

Thanks for your answer. I asked the same question in a Mac-forum, and to sum up, Mac points to Microsoft and Microsoft points to Mac.

All of your suggestions have been tried, and specific the one about always keep on this computer is what I would prefer the most. I will keep all my files as on demand for a period and then I hope it is solved with a later MacOS. To not have my files downloaded seems to solve it for now, I hope.