OneDrive Storage Space keeps Filling up

Copper Contributor

Hi,

My one drive storage keeps filling up, which prevents me from receiving emails.   I do not use one drive on any of my devices, and have unlinked everything.  There are very few files in my onedrive, under 1MB, but my onedrive storage says that I am using 102GB (over the 100GB that I've paid for).   I just purchased more space, and the has rapidly filled up within the hour.  Have I been hacked? There are no linked devices so what can be causing this?

Thanks

2 Replies

@jasonbarr99 

From my observation, this looks more like a personal account.

It is important to know that when file syncs, it saves in 3 locations:

-Document

-Desktop

-Pictures

Listed below are steps you can follow to sort this out:

1. Use the Disk Clean-up utility (Start > Disk Clean-up in Windows, or Optimize Storage in Mac) to free up some working space for OneDrive.
  2. Move your files into the OneDrive folder.
  3. Click the OneDrive taskbar/menu bar icon and open OneDrive > Settings > Account > Choose folders to make sure you don’t sync any unwanted files to your computer.1.png2.png3.png
  4. Empty the OneDrive Recycle bin.
  5. Re-install OneDrive and turn off the sync.
  6. Delete unnecessary files from the OneDrive Web and empty the Recycle Bin.

It’s possible that you may have deleted files from your computer but they are still present in your OneDrive Recycle bin, which is taking up space. You can empty the Recycle bin by following step 4 above.

It’s also possible that you may have synced a large number of files to your OneDrive without realizing it. You can check which folders are being synced by following step 3 above.

If none of the above steps work, it’s possible that someone else has gained access to your account and is using your storage space. In this case, I recommend changing your password immediately.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please give it a Like :smile:

Appreciate your Kudos! Proud to contribute! :)

@Deleted 

You said, "It is important to know that when file syncs, it saves in 3 locations," then you give those locations even though the original poster explicitly said he does not have any computers linked to OneDrive. Knowing this, how does it change your response?