Onedrive status icon folder stuck on Sync Pending in file explorer

Brass Contributor

Onedrive status icon folder stuck on Sync Pending in file explorer.

Tried to delete hidden temp files but icon doesn't change.

Any advice? Is this a know bug?

70 Replies
Okay! Either try that or wait some time more and see if it resolves!!
Either way let us know :)

Adam

@adam deltinger 

Hello Adam,

One of my user experimenting the same issue of Folder Sync Icon problem.

All the files are correctly sync in the folder but the folder sync itself still "in sync".

As it's a Microsoft Team Sharepoint sync with Onedrive client, I have sync to the same site, so the same folders and files and I didn't have the problem.

The user synchronized this Sharepoint last week, I can't ask him to reset Onedrive account, do you have any idea of what we can do ?

Regards,

Julien.

I can confirm that a lot of my client has the same problem. Everything is synced, but the folder still show as "syncronizing" status.
Onedrive icon in task bar has the status "Up to date"
Just annoying and hard to tell people that it is just a bug. They need to trust the status or it is useless.

@Per Ove SandhålandCould you tell us if your users using another cloud storage SAS like Google Drive, Dropbox, ... on the same computer?

Few OneDrive icons issue comes when there are other cloud storage client installed on the same computer.

And if someone have an workaround for this issue, you'r welcome. :)

I've removed all other cloud services but problem isn't fixed. Still think this is an explorer bug.

@Julien SOULET 

I can confirm that some of my clients have dropbox installed.

But I can also confirm that a fresh, and updated Windows 10 with updated onedrive and applications and no other software like dropbox,  has the same issues. 

So I do not believe it is related to other software.

@Per Ove Sandhåland 

Anyone figure this out?  I'm seeing this issue with someone using Windows 10 1803 and the latest OneDrive sync client.  Thanks.

Nope, and I can't find a solution anywhere, MS support is ignoring this completely.

We had the same issue with some users when we started to migrated their desktop/documents/pictures to OneDrive.

We found that the folder sits on "sync pending" as there are hidden files that wont sync.  These files all start with "~" and seems to be old auto save or lock files.

We unticked "hide protected operating system files (recommended)" in windows explorer settings, this then allowed us to see those files and remove them.

We run Windows 1809 and OneDrive 19.103

Hope this helps

James

@Kevin1988Have just encountered the problem. Upgraded to Windows 1903. In explorer all Onedrive files show ticked as synced. One drive states all files up to date but if I browse the same folders in an app, say Word or Excel then the folders show the syncing icon. Annoying that no-one can offer a fix. Spoke to Microsoft tech. They said they will pass my screenshots to support but support will NOT come back to me with a fix!. What was the point of that?

Are you sure these office files aren't open by someone? Anytime files are opened in 365 with auto save etc. they will sit as sync icons.

@Chris Webb Thanks but if that were the case, why does file explorer show the correct sync statsus i.e all up to date where as the file browser in an app shows a different status?

That’s how it works with those files that sync in real time. But most likely you just have the odd bug with the files that I’ve seen happen as well. But if those files in fact are opened by you or someone the sync icon is intended behavior.
Sorry, but I have done like Microsoft do, just ignore it. No solution yet.

@jaymzwood Thanks for this tip. After I un-hid protected operating system files, I found these folders contained tmp files. After I deleted these files the sync icons were back to check marks.

The suggestion by @rolandadmin worked for me, nothing else in this thread had worked. I followed these steps:
- In File Explorer click View
- Click Options (far right) > Change folder and search options
- Click View
- Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" - dialogue comes up, click Yes
- Apply, OK
- There should now be tmp files displayed in the folder in question, delete these
- Folder sync status should no longer be pending

This worked for me also and gave the abilty to chase the sync pending symbols to the offending files with system files in.  Thanks for this.

@adam deltinger That link is now up to 14 tips! (respectfully, it's too affiliate-link-driven for my taste. Annoying popup video ads, ad nauseam!)

@KevinVdh 

I am no tech person and this is my first post, but i did the following and it worked immediately.

In the folder i was not able to change, the status indicated a small man icon next to the sync icon.

This man icon indicates that a folder is being shared with another person.

If the folder you are trying to change has this man icon

1. Right click on the folder and click share under the one drive section

2. click the three horizontal dots on the top right corner

3. click manage access

4. without removing your access, remove access to everyone including the link.

5. exit that box and try renaming the folder.

This process, as mentioned immediately worked for me.

Let us know how you go.

Have the same problem. Normal explorer shows all files synced. When trying to open document from file explorer nothing appears in Word. When I try opening up file from within Word that explorer shows the same folders as pending synchronization and I get an error message about file not found. The the strange thing is that the file now places itself in the recently opened list in word, and when I click on that link the file opens up normally. 

Summary: I can't open files from explorer, get an error message when trying to open from within Word explorer, but can finally open document from recently opened files after trying to open the file from within Word explorer.... @KevinVdh