OneDrive for Business for SMB

Copper Contributor

Client has 5 users on a LAN with a Win2008R2 server/Domain Controller.

Two users use OneDrive for Business to access files stored on the server.

Each have OneDrive copying a Shared folder (mapped as drive K:) that they both have access to, and their individual Home Folders that are private user folders (mapped as drive P:).

The contents of Drive K: is the same for both users, but both users upload their own copies of Drive K: to OneDrive, via their desktop computers in the office, which are on during the workday, but off (or hibernating) at night or weekends. In addition, both users often use laptops remotely when out of the office, relying on OneDrive to provide the latest contents of Drive K:.

Is there a way for OneDrive to run on the server, so only one copy of Drive K: exists on OneDrive, and files that are updated by one user will be available to the other?

2 Replies
It is certainly possible for OneDrive to run on a server (I don't know the Windows version specifics) but the users will interact with the files with the limitations of an SMB file share.

The scnario would be that users' Drive X is mapped to the server OneDrive folder (or parent folder). Users would be accessing the files as if OneDrive didn't exist.

This is fine for a single user but all the cloud-based multi-user benefits are gone, specifically user version tracking.

I would opt for having OneDrive files on demand on each client computer as the sole user access method. ... and using SharePoint rather than OneDrive.

The SPOD client could run on the server as an access point for the files to be backed up with other server files.

Of course it is possible to run a OneDrive server (I don't know the details of the Windows version), but users will be interacting with the files through SMB file sharing restrictions.
The scenario would be to map users' Drive X to the OneDrive folder on the server (or root folder). Users will be able to access files as if OneDrive does not exist
This is fine for a single user but all the cloud-based multi-user benefits are missing especially user version tracking
I would prefer that OneDrive files on each client computer be the only way to provide on-demand user access