OneDrive Search File Contents

Brass Contributor

OneDrive is no longer searching file contents. I used to get search results from file contents before but all of a sudden it's showing results only if it matches the filename. What could be the issue? Pls help

Update: Microsoft has finally fixed this issue. I'm getting my search results as expected. Others, pls share your experience.

47 Replies

@csnarain Please please let us know when this is going to be fixed.  It really is a non-starter for me to beginning moving all of my files over to OneDrive if I cannot search them by keywords in their content.  Thank you.

@vhutheesing I have no clue. Like you and many others, I too am waiting for a fix from Microsoft. For whatever unknown reason, there has been dead silence from Microsoft on this. I really don't know how to bring this to their attention.

@csnarain I thought I'm the only one who's experiencing this. I also contacted the customer service but it doesn't help and still frustrating. I hope Microsoft fix this issue immediately. 

Guys,

Looks like Microsoft finally fixed this. My search results are working as expected.

@csnarainany idea how this issue was fixed? My OneDrive search is not even returning proper "file name" based results, forget about searching inside the file contents... would appreciate any pointers. 

@sg1180 My onedrive search don't work either.  I tried to contact repo but the answer for the issue is using "win10 file explorer", lol. 

I'm still unable to search contents of files; only file names are searched. Apart from the OP, has anyone else had this issue reserved? @csnarain did you have to do anything to resolve the issue or did it just start working for you again?

@Mike Williams 

Have you find any solution for that other than moving into Google drive? 

Thanks. 

That’s it, you got it perfectly right. I’ve moved to Google Drive already.
Cheers!

@sg1180 and all. This problem has been fixed for me long back and I even posted a message about it a month ago. If you guys are still having issues, pls contact Microsoft

@csnarain wrote:

Guys,

Looks like Microsoft finally fixed this. My search results are working as expected.

May I know how is your "working as expected" is? Because OneDrive still return nothing if I search by the file content.

My expected is:

say I has this file.txt that contains "hello world" text inside it. If I typed 'hello' or 'ello' to the search bar in OneDrive, it will return file.txt as result.

Thanks!

Same problem here on Android client! And I have tested on Dropbox with the same files and worked fine, searching file contents. So it's difficult to keep onedrive going this way, besides it's cache problem that demands me to clear it now-and-then.

Hi @csnarain ,

Just tried it on the desktop app and it is showing only by title and not content... 

Do you know if Microsoft fixed it?

Thanks!

Yehuda

As I know they did not. I gave up and migrated to dropbox.
I am struggling with this as well. It hasn't been solved yet, and it seems as if Microsoft is no longer working on the issue. I based this on the fact that their last update on the issue dates from November last year. I already feel like an idiot for migrating from Dropbox to Onedrive.

Did anybody come across a fix or some new information regarding this problem?
I found that it works only from the Web app
Worked for me in iOS app.

@csnarain When my files were first MOVED to OneDrive, I was only able to search file contents of documents that I had previously opened while in OneDrive.

Details: Our company recently switched to cloud storage (OneDrive). When I searched for content that I knew was within some files, I got no results unless the content was in the title of the file. Prior to OneDrive, I had no issues.

Purely by accident, I found ONE file that contained the search item in its' content, and NOT its' title. It was then I realized that the "found" document had only recently been opened since moving to OneDrive! All of the other files that  I knew contained my search request were not shown. So I opened excel, selected "Open" and in my OneDrive folder, I held shift and selected a large number of files. This took a while but once they had been opened and closed, I could search for content in those files. It took a while, but I eventually opened all of the documents. This is not a solution, only a work-around until I can find the real answer. Just wanted to share in case it may help someone in a tight spot. If anyone knows a solution, I'm still looking.

@csnarainThis is happening to me also! Has anyone else started to have this issue more recently?  

@WadeKeegan 

Yes, I have noticed it has gotten worse recently again. I've always had some problems searching files for contents from time to time. Restarting my apps, signing out and signing back in... These "refreshes" always helped in the past.

Now I can't search for anything that's not kept on my device. The moment I free up space the contents are unsearchable.