SOLVED

Microsoft Teams News: Wiki Page Retiring in January 2024 & There Are Things You Must Do

MVP

Before saying "Peace Out" to Wiki Page in January 2024, you must do some things

This in-depth video discusses what to expect, Microsoft's timelines, and a guide to completing the transition.

Now, you can work your magic - efficiently!

• Video Date January 20: Peace Out https://youtu.be/y7BtR9NlMyE
  • Updated Video February 27: Revised Timelines https://youtu.be/seXrZ5awhGs 
  • Date: 3/21/2023: Download Wiki from SharePoint  https://youtu.be/9BKk2zh1y84 
    If you want a backup of your Wiki Pages, this video shows you how to download Teams Wiki Pages from SharePoint to your local drive. Once the files are downloaded, then open the Wiki files in Microsoft Word. Note: This process should NOT replace Microsoft's requirement to export Wiki Page to OneNote. 

Date: 4/30/2023https://youtu.be/4ugFh6sLcP8

Tips and insights on Exporting Teams Wiki to OneNote

Teresa_Cyrus_0-1682880730813.png

5/14/2023 "Perfect Wiki for Teams" App: A Microsoft Teams Wiki Alternative

Video: https://youtu.be/jSk6SQRN4sk

In this thread, several users were searching for an alternative wiki app.  I conducted a review on the "Perfect Wiki for Teams" app.  It is a great app! Check out the video.

Perfect Wiki App Review v1.png

/Teresa

#traccreations4e

You have less than 2.5 months to comply with the Wiki Page Retiring in April. This video provides what to expect and an action guide to transition from Wiki to OneNote. MICROSOFT REVISED TIMELINE: JANUARY 2024 (See video for details. Updated on February 27, 2023) 9/22/2023 Update Thumbnail as a ...
Application Review: Perfect Wiki is the ultimate choice to replace Microsoft Teams Wiki or OneNote. Act Fast. Microsoft Teams Wiki retires in January 2024. Application Discount: 5% Promo Code: TRACCreations-2023 Valid through: December 31, 2023 Website: www.perfectwikiforteams.com Affiliate ...
This video addresses your concerns about export your Microsoft Teams Wiki to OneNote before it gets retired. I'll share some valuable insights and tips that will guide you through the process with ease. Since there are limited Microsoft resources available on this important update, let's stay ...
In this helpful video, you'll learn how to download your Teams Wiki Page from SharePoint to your computer, so you can keep a BACKUP copy. Note: This step does not replace Microsoft's requirement to export Wiki Pages to OneNote by the January 2024 retirement date. Nevertheless, you'll be shown ...
90 Replies
Thank you for reply @Teresa_Cyrus!
I don't if I shall be happy by the fact that you couldn't find any answers either ;) But thanks for trying.
Question 1
Not all users gets the error. I don't get it but my Wiki's are close to empty. When there is a lot of content with tables and other formatting it fails
Question 2
It's not the Teams version - sorry for confusion - it's the creation of the Teams which is old as in one of the first Teams we created.
I'll contact Microsoft for help. I'll keep you posted.
And thank you for very helpful videos about this topic :clapping_hands:

@Linda_Gartner_Nielsen 

Thank you for the kind words.  One person had reported issues with tables. However, I had no issues exporting a table during my testing - previously and again yesterday. I even posted tables from MS Word & Excel - no issues.

Please ask the user to remove the table and see if it works. 

Please keep "us" posted. I am really curious about the resolution.

Please like the posts that you have found useful, it will help others with the same questions. 

Thank you.

/Teresa

@Teresa_Cyrus - for the record, and I'm hoping this has been said... I do not use Wiki for "notes," and Teams' OneNote functionality is clunky and cumbersome.  I use the Wiki for FAQs.  Is there a comparable product that is as easy to use with Teams?  Thank you!

@jasonmurray 

Perfect Wiki appears to be the best alternative to Teams Wiki and OneNote. I have not used this application. However, @simoyrose shared their experience and is happy with the application. See this post

Article: Perfect Wiki vs OneNote: What’s the Better Wiki Solution for Microsoft Teams? (perfectwikif...

If you use this app, please add your experience in this thread which will help others.

Please like this post if you find it helpful. Thanks.

I can see that I can still create Wiki pages, while MS said otherwise in its roadmap, is it the same for you all ?

@ogouret 

Yes. I was able to create a Wiki Page as of this week. But don't get too comfortable because you will not have that luxury one day. :lol:

Yes I am able to create wikis as well.  Microsoft needs to update their dates.  The following is the only message I see:

jbuerger_1-1683131544735.png

@jbuerger 

For blank pages, that is the message you will see. Feel free to delete blank Wiki Pages.

I recommend that you watch my video covering banner messages, timing, etc.

https://youtu.be/4ugFh6sLcP8

This video addresses your concerns about export your Microsoft Teams Wiki to OneNote before it gets retired. I'll share some valuable insights and tips that will guide you through the process with ease. Since there are limited Microsoft resources available on this important update, let's stay ...
Thanks for the information. Now MS just need to get the date correct.

@Teresa_Cyrus 

When does this change happen for GCC? I have no banners on my Wiki pages in Teams to warn my users about this.

I looked in the Roadmap and don't see it mentioned either.

@Cary Siemers 

Microsoft has not announced it yet - anywhere. Please keep this thread up to date.

T

I agree. I don't see how OneNote is a viable alternative for a wiki used as FAQs and releasenotes. Wiki is so much cleaner.

@Harm 

Totally agree. <5% of our users even like OneNote. Most user's app of choice for taking notes, Word! 

OneNote has a long and justified rep at corrupting OneNote files that can't be recovered.

@jasonmurray @Cary Siemers @Harm 

Since the Microsoft's announcement of retiring the wiki app, several users asked about an alternative. I completed an application review on the "Perfect Wiki for Teams." I was really impressed!

Check out the video: Video: https://youtu.be/jSk6SQRN4sk

Application Review: Perfect Wiki is the ultimate choice to replace Microsoft Teams Wiki or OneNote. Act Fast. Microsoft Teams Wiki retires in January 2024. Application Discount: 5% Promo Code: TRACCreations-2023 Valid through: December 31, 2023 Website: www.perfectwikiforteams.com Affiliate ...

@Teresa_Cyrus 

Thanks for the recommendation, but to replace the free built-in Wiki feature with a product we'd have to pay for is not an option.

Likely when the time comes for GCC to have Teams functionality reduced by the removal of WiKis I'm going to recommend to all my users to use Word or Excel for their various notes and stay away from OneNote. Afterall, Microsoft could one day decide OneNote is going to be retired just like Wikis are now. I'll hedge our bets with Word/Excel as they'll likely stick around for the long haul.

Thanks again for the information it's appreciated.

@Cary Siemers 

Thanks for your input. This could go either way.  

I just want to give users options.

/Teresa

#traccreations4e

Hi,
I have a customer where Wiki tab suddenly disappeared in the installed Teams app (version: 1.6.00.16472) and the of course could not migrate to OneNote. But the user can on the Teams web App see the wiki tabs and migrate from there.

Is it something in the Teams app or in the license or what?

@THOREX 

This is a unique issue. I suspect any new installs would not include the Wiki but Note tabs instead.

I suggest the user export the Wiki pages from SharePoint as a backup and convert Wiki to OneNote from the web. I would delete the Wiki pages after the conversion.

Keep me updated on this issue in case this happens to others.

@Teresa_Cyrus 

Hello Teresa

thank you for your Information about wiki in Teams. Strangely I still can use wiki in Teams and there is no longer any warning. What does this mean? Did Microsoft change his mind?
I would be very thankful, if I can use wiki forder on, because I present the program for my students every day and this is much easier than with a wordfile.

Do you know, if plans changed?

Thanks for an answer
Daniel

@Daniel6311 

Come January 2024, the Wiki Page and the Application will be available to users. 

If you like the simplicity of Wiki and have the budget, I recommend the Perfect Wiki App.  Check out the video demonstration, https://youtu.be/jSk6SQRN4sk.  

Microsoft Loop Functionality looks easy as well. I have not had a chance to use it yet. Stay tuned for more details.