Microsoft Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action

Copper Contributor

I have suddenly starting getting the above message when trying to open an excel file. I have seen other posts and followed the instructions re DDE channel and removing add-ins but this hasn't solved teh problem. Can anyone help

4 Replies

@Malc59 

I just started having the same problem.  The only way I can open an excel file on my computer is to turn of real time scanning in Mcafee every time I open it.  It's a pain in the butt but it works.  I'd like to find a more permanent solution.

@Malc59 

Following. I have also just started getting this error when opening Excel files and also Word files once in a while and shutting down McAfee On-Access Scan is the only way to open them for me as well.

Not sure if it's Excel/Word or McAfee with the problem but a permanent fix will be welcomed.

@Malc59 

Following - this has just started happening to me, and the McAfee solution isn't working for me. 

Just spoke to McAfee and this is an ongoing problem which they are trying to fix.

If you contact them and explain your issue they will open a service ticket for you and email you when they have a fix.