SOLVED

How can I get Excel to select correctly a chart series?

Copper Contributor

I get mad by trying to fromat my chart series correctly.

MiFi1_0-1716449250859.png

It consists of 2 series,  those of class 1 and the other ones of class 0.
When I select one bar from class 1 using "format data series", it just selects a weird mixture of values from class 1 and 0.
When I select one class from the data selection and then apply e.g. a colour change, this will also apply to the unselected class.
How can one do the job correctly?

P.S. the data comes from a pivot table, apparently that makes the difference.
I get the same weird behaviour from Office 2019 equally on Mac or Windows.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by MiFi1 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@MiFi1 You neither show your data nor the way you set-up the chart, but I tried to recreate something based on the picture alone.

You don't have two separate series for each class. There is one series of zeros and ones. That's why Excel selects all data points and assigned one colour to all columns.

I suspect that you have the Class field in the Row area of the pivot table. Move it over to the Column area and you will get two series.

See attached.

Thank you for the decisive hint.
I finally got it it to show my graph as requested.
The graphical shown selection of the series is still weird with columns missing in the data series selection, but I have noticed another context window above the main context window with format options by series.
And formatting out of that context windows works.
Regards.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MiFi1 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@MiFi1 You neither show your data nor the way you set-up the chart, but I tried to recreate something based on the picture alone.

You don't have two separate series for each class. There is one series of zeros and ones. That's why Excel selects all data points and assigned one colour to all columns.

I suspect that you have the Class field in the Row area of the pivot table. Move it over to the Column area and you will get two series.

See attached.

View solution in original post