Excel chart select source data issues

Copper Contributor

Excel used to have a dialog box for customizing data selection of a chart. You could specify the exact cell range of an axis to manipulate graphing data and it was fairly intuitive to use. If you had two series of data in adjacent columns, it was easy to set one as the x or y axis and the other as the actual series being charted through the "format axis" option the right-click dropdown menu. The current  "select data source" dialog box does not appear to let you do this, and formatting axis through the side panel doesn't either.

Below is an example of something that used to be relatively easy to manipulate. Column A represents soil depth, "z", Column B is a calculated soil pressure (delta) that varies with the vertical depth.

close but no cigarclose but no cigar

Plotted correctly, you should be able to get something like this:

excel troubles 4.JPG

The excel chart with the blue curve is close to what I want but should be transposed, with column A series along the y axis.

I was only able to achieve the above chart by excluding Column A from the data series selection. However what I actually need to chart is the transpose of this; instead of the x axis reading the row number I need it to read the corresponding depths from column A. When I try to add Column A I just get another series added.

adding the series that should be the "y" axisadding the series that should be the "y" axis

This is as far as I'm able to get. Switching row/column does not address it, and I'm unable to get the axis to read the data from column A instead of jus the index row number.

I used to work in excel quite a bit, there was definitely an older version with a dialog box that allowed easy manipulation of data. You could select y and x axis data range for each data series. In the past I've done some impressive graphing and complex spreadsheets to calculate structural load paths with cell and matrix referencing, so I would not consider myself a novice - yet this simple thing has me in self doubt, feel like I don't even have the basic fundamentals down. What happened to the old dialog box, and how do I work around this?

0 Replies