Excel Help

Copper Contributor

I was sent a contact information list & the same name is listed multiple times with different emails. (Each person has more than 1 email address.) If we upload into our system as is, it creates a separate account for every email. I need to get rid of duplicate contact names, without losing the extra email addresses. I’m a novice in Excel, help! 

3 Replies

@AJones89 

You don't mention your version of Excel. The attached sheet shows a method that will work with a Microsoft 365 subscription or Excel 2021 or newer.

Two formulas are needed.

=SORT(UNIQUE([list of names])), e.g., =SORT(UNIQUE(A1:A2000))

=TRANSPOSE(FILTER(Table1[Emails],Table1[Names]=E2))

the first formula, the one with "unique" in it, only is entered once; the results all spill to rows below.

the second formula needs to be copied to cells adjacent to the list of unique names

mathetes_0-1692039749801.png

And of course, if John Smith is listed as John Smith each time, that's not a problem, but if he's sometimes John Q. Smith, then that is a different name as far as Excel is concerned. So you may need to do some cleaning up when that occurs.

@AJones89 

This solution might be more than what's needed but it's fun to put together because 365 makes it easier.

ReShape(data)
=LET(
    rng, DROP(data, 1),
    header, TAKE(data, 1),
    name, TAKE(rng, , 1),
    uName, SORT(UNIQUE(name)),
    email, TAKE(rng, , -1),
    organize, LAMBDA(a, v,
        LET(records, FILTER(email, name = v, ""), IFERROR(VSTACK(a, HSTACK(v, TOROW(records))), ""))
    ),
    REDUCE(header, uName, organize)
)

Patrick2788_0-1692040556859.png

@AJones89 

=IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$15,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$15=$D2,ROW($A$2:$A$15)-1),COLUMN(A$1))),"")

An alternative with e.g. Excel 2013 could be this formula. Enter the formula with ctrl+shift+enter if you don't work with Office 365 or Excel 2021.

The formula is in cell E2 and then filled across range E2:I6 in the example.

excel help.png