Excel file locked for editing

Copper Contributor

I have an Excel sheet (not shared) stored in the company's shared folders, allowing any employee to access it. Normally, if someone is already editing the sheet, Excel notifies me that it's locked for editing and provides options to either wait for the other person to finish or open it in read-only mode. However, the Excel file has stopped giving this notification and allows multiple users to enter editing mode simultaneously. This creates an issue during the saving process when multiple people are working on the file. I attempted to recreate the sheet, but the problem persists. I also enabled a pop-out screen that allows users to enter in read-only mode, but for editing, we now need to coordinate with colleagues to ensure no one else is editing simultaneously. How can I restore the normal functionality where Excel notifies about the file being locked for editing?

1 Reply

@alara2022 

If Excel is not providing the usual notification that a file is locked for editing when someone else is working on it, it might be due to various reasons. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. Check File Permissions: Ensure that the users have the appropriate permissions to access and edit the file. If someone has changed the file permissions, it might affect Excel's ability to manage editing conflicts.
  2. Shared Workbook Feature: Check if the "Shared Workbook" feature is inadvertently turned on. If it's on, multiple users can edit the workbook simultaneously without receiving notifications about others editing. To disable it:
    • Open the workbook.
    • Go to the "Review" tab.
    • Click on "Share Workbook" in the "Changes" group.
    • Uncheck the "Allow changes by more than one user at the same time" option.
    • Click OK.
  3. Excel Options: Ensure that the following Excel option is enabled:
    • Go to "File" > "Options."
    • In the Excel Options dialog, go to the "Advanced" tab.
    • Scroll down to the "General" section.
    • Check "Ask to update automatic links" and "Update links to other documents."
    • Click OK.
  4. Document Properties: Check the document properties for any settings that might be affecting file sharing and editing:
    • Open the workbook.
    • Go to the "File" tab and select "Info."
    • Click on "Properties" and choose "Advanced Properties."
    • Check the "Summary" tab for any unusual settings.
  5. Excel Trust Center: Ensure that the workbook location is trusted. If Excel is not treating the shared folder as a trusted location, it might not handle file locking properly.
    • Go to "File" > "Options."
    • In the Excel Options dialog, go to the "Trust Center" and click on "Trust Center Settings."
    • Go to the "Trusted Locations" section and add the folder where the file is stored.
    • Click OK to save the changes.
  6. Update Excel: Make sure that Excel is up-to-date with the latest updates and patches. An outdated version might have issues with certain features. The steps were edited with the help of AI.

After trying these steps, check if the issue persists. If the problem continues, there may be other factors specific to your environment or Excel setup, and you might want to consult with your company's IT support for further assistance. OR adding more information to your topic. Information such as Excel version, operating system, storage medium, file extension, photos or file (without sensitive data),etc. In this link you will find some more information about it: Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.