SOLVED

corrupted excel file

Copper Contributor

Hi Team, 

My excel file was saved as an external hard drive.

Thereafter on attempting to open it says "The file is corrupted and cannot be opened"

Would be obliged if there is any way to recover the file as it has very important stuff therein.

I am also try to open in Dev channel Excel 365. Any one from excel developer team can help me out.

Best..

Nitin S.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@nitin9411166 

If you can convert the file from .xlsx to .xls you can open it, but the data is gone.
I opened it like that, but no VBA code found that locks the file in any way. Unfortunately it is simply broken.

Even though I'm almost certain that the data has all been lost here, here is a link.

Repair a corrupted workbook

When Microsoft Excel detects a corrupted workbook upon opening, it automatically starts File Recovery mode and attempts to repair the workbook. If File Recovery mode doesn’t start, try using this manual process to recover your workbook: Click upper Link.

I'm sorry that I couldn't help you any further.

Also wish you a nice day.

NikolinoDE

I know that I do not know (Socrates)

Thank u
I have an Excel file and got the same error message. I also posted my issue on several forums but didn't get a proper solution to fix it. That file belonged to my client so, was not able to share it with any expert. I found this blog helpful: https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/file-is-corrupted-and-cannot-be-opened-excel-2010/
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@nitin9411166 

If you can convert the file from .xlsx to .xls you can open it, but the data is gone.
I opened it like that, but no VBA code found that locks the file in any way. Unfortunately it is simply broken.

Even though I'm almost certain that the data has all been lost here, here is a link.

Repair a corrupted workbook

When Microsoft Excel detects a corrupted workbook upon opening, it automatically starts File Recovery mode and attempts to repair the workbook. If File Recovery mode doesn’t start, try using this manual process to recover your workbook: Click upper Link.

I'm sorry that I couldn't help you any further.

Also wish you a nice day.

NikolinoDE

I know that I do not know (Socrates)

View solution in original post