permission error opening excel file

Copper Contributor

when i open an excel file that i created i get below error even though i set myself the permission

''you are not signed in office with an account that has permission to open this workbook. you may sign in a new account info OFFICE that has permission or request permission the content owner''

I am signed in with  correct account with a license. 

No issues accessing other files, only one file with issue.

Made no changes so confused why its an issue. One night working fine, next morning i have this issue.

File looks to be corrupted after speaking to chat support so how do i fix this?

2 Replies

@vignesh9824 

If you're encountering a permission error when trying to open a specific Excel file that you created, and you're sure that you're signed in with the correct account and have the necessary permissions, it's possible that the file itself has become corrupted. Here are some steps you can take to attempt to fix the issue:

1. Try Opening the File in Safe Mode: Sometimes, Excel may encounter issues with certain files due to conflicts with add-ins or other settings. You can try opening Excel in Safe Mode and then opening the problematic file. To do this, press and hold the "Ctrl" key while launching Excel. Keep holding the key until you see a prompt asking if you want to start Excel in Safe Mode. Confirm and then try opening the file again.
  2. Open and Repair the File: Excel has a built-in feature to repair corrupted files. To use this feature, open Excel, go to "File" > "Open", navigate to the location of the problematic file, select it, but instead of clicking "Open", click the arrow next to the "Open" button, and choose "Open and Repair".
  3. Restore from Backup: If you have a backup of the file from a previous version or a backup system in place, you can try restoring the file from there.
  4. Try Opening the File on Another Device: Sometimes, the issue may be specific to the device or installation of Excel. Try opening the file on another computer or device to see if the issue persists.
  5. Use Online File Repair Services: There are online services available that claim to repair corrupted Excel files. You can search for reputable services and try using them to repair the file.
  6. Recreate the File: If none of the above methods work, you may need to recreate the file from scratch. This involves manually inputting the data and formulas from the corrupted file into a new Excel workbook.

If none of these methods work and the file remains corrupted, it's possible that the corruption is too severe to repair, and you may need to consider alternative solutions.

Alternative solutions like Data Recovery Software (Third-party tools) or File Format Conversion (If the data is not too complex). The text and steps were created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.

@vignesh9824 

Where the file is kept - local drive, SharePoint/OneDrive, network share?