SOLVED

Changing Date Format

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have extracted a CSV from a work system and there is a date column formatted as "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss: AM/PM". I'd like to have it formatted as "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm". How do I do that?

Changing from the below:

mcp_excel04_0-1712089350745.png

To this:

mcp_excel04_1-1712089381815.png

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Reply
best response confirmed by mcp_excel04 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@mcp_excel04 

Rather than reading the file into Excel directly, read it into PowerQuery using a US locale

let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\Peter\OneDrive\test.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=1, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers", {{"ScheduleStartTimeStamp", type datetime}}, "en-US")
in
    #"Changed Type with Locale"

[here the data is loaded as text then converted to datetime using the US locale]

Once the correct dates are loaded to Excel number formatting can be used to display them using the international format you require.

4 Ways to Fix Date Errors in Power Query + Locale & Regional Settings - Excel Campus

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by mcp_excel04 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@mcp_excel04 

Rather than reading the file into Excel directly, read it into PowerQuery using a US locale

let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\Peter\OneDrive\test.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=1, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers", {{"ScheduleStartTimeStamp", type datetime}}, "en-US")
in
    #"Changed Type with Locale"

[here the data is loaded as text then converted to datetime using the US locale]

Once the correct dates are loaded to Excel number formatting can be used to display them using the international format you require.

4 Ways to Fix Date Errors in Power Query + Locale & Regional Settings - Excel Campus

View solution in original post