Edge how to Always open favorites in new tab?

Copper Contributor

i just want left click  to open favorites

in the new version he was removed?

(111.0.1660.7)

81 Replies
No, this is not true. I run Canary and only Canary and when I close it I go through the task manager to make sure it is totally down, which it is as I have nothing being saved for it to load faster the next time I start it.... etc.......

Dennis5mile
It has been 3 month since this trivial feature was first implemented in Canary in Dec 2022, can we please roll it out to stable already? Going back to Firefox until this is implemented in stable...

@Dennis5mile   only stable versions.  Canary is ok.

I do not see the Microsoft window flag into the window 10 pro futures. did Microsoft will add the flag future into the window 10. because this is most important
Can anyone see and set Open Favorites in New Tab default setting in the Settings/Appearance/Customize Tool Bar section?!? If you are like me, this setting is not showing up! EDGE TEAM, please bring it back!!
I have the same issue; using the latest edge dev. No sign of option for opening favorites in New Tab.

@Dennis5mile Hi Dennis, I have followed your instructions and it's been working perfectly for a few days both in Canary and in the public release but the option has now disappeared from Edge settings and I can't open favorites in a new tab anymore.

I made some other tweaks related to preview builds but can't remember what exactly, any idea what's going on?

Thanks

Have you verified that the string is still there? If not, place it back in. Open task manager and end all tasks that are of Edge. Make sure the string is there and restart edge. I don't know of any tweaks you could have made that would affect this.

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile Yep, the string was still there but the option eventually came back in both browsers about 30 minutes later without me doing anything. Probably some update in the background.

@Dennis5mile what string are you referring to? Is there is post on a fix somewhere I missed?

@smithtoddr 

It is further down in this thread just scroll down or click here <------ 

Dennis5mile

The target in the shortcut properties.
And now always 'open favorites in new tab' has disappeared again from my stable version...
Quite temperamental this thing, it keeps coming and going. It's still there in the canary though.
Would using the dev version as my primary browser be safe enough?
Couldn't tell you. I always use Canary as my default browser and only when it goes down or has major problems do I switch to Dev. I find both worth using as default, but that is just me. I don't recommend using them as default unless you fully know what you're doing.

Dennis5mile

The Setting is now GONE today using Canary....

I was using the previous page "workaround" to force the setting to show, now it won't show or work.

Okay, that's weird, adding a removing it a few times now it's working again.  LOL

Okay again, something is weird...  Now it's GONE AGAIN...  LOL

Alright, I looks like maybe it's NOT working in "Canary" atm anymore.

However, trying the Standard Install of Edge, it DOES still work.
However, I've discovered that several Edge Processes will NOT "quit" in Task Manager, and if you open the browser again as is, the setting won't show.
However, Ending all the processes and it shows again....  But, this doesn't work in Canary...  Canary actually closes ALL the processes, it doesn't leave any still running?

reclamar 100
Don't know what to tell ya. I'm not having any problems at all with it showing and not showing. Mine stays on. Version 113.0.1769.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Dennis5mile
And boom! Here we go again... Now it's gone from both stable and canary.
I think this favorite version tab should be available in available in current DEV +canary version dev to including this new its will be enable all the functions that's carry on the new in dev favorite version action nice flowing

@Visliar  have you tried using the mousewheel to click to open links?

If you click on any link / icon* via the mouse wheel, it will open up the link in a new tab. Left click still opens it in the same window and right brings up the context menue. This also works if you have a folder.

* this works on any decent website in both Edge and Chrome, unless the stupid webdesigner disabled it with useless javascript code.