Feb 08 2023 09:33 PM
Feb 08 2023 09:33 PM
i just want left click to open favorites
in the new version he was removed?
Feb 09 2023 09:59 AM - edited Feb 09 2023 09:59 AM
I don't see this option available in the current Dev build either. However, it's there in Canary Version 112.0.1671.0. So, as it stands, the feature should be included in the next major Dev build.
Feb 14 2023 07:50 PM
Feb 14 2023 10:00 PM
This feature is not enabled by default even on canary 112.0.1683.0 and it is enabled by the Experimentation and Configuration Service(ECS). Those who received enablement configuration from MS server can use this feature.
To enable it manually, add command-line option "--enable-features=msFavoritesOpenInNewTabSetting" to the shortcut.
Mar 01 2023 01:39 PM
Mar 01 2023 01:44 PM
Mar 03 2023 11:12 PM
Mar 03 2023 11:23 PM - edited Mar 03 2023 11:23 PM
This literally worked.... Thanks for this.
For those who want to know how this works in Canary, just:
- Right Click on Carnary EXE Shortcut, go to Properties
- Go to Shortcut Tab, should be selected already.
- Put this in the Target field...
"C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\msedge.exe" "--enable-features=msFavoritesOpenInNewTabSetting"
Of course the above UserName will be yours.
Start the browser, and the Selection option will be there in Settings under Appearance, already selected.
Mar 04 2023 01:45 AM
Mar 04 2023 05:33 AM
That's the long way around to add that line........ You only need to do a couple right clicks and add that line and your done....... go here and here and here is the long way.....
Right click the shortcut, right click the "microsoft edge canary/or what ever version name" your using, select properties add that line without the " s, to the end of the line in the tab "shortcut" and in the line that says "target" add that line to the end of it and your done..... if your browser is open, close it then restart it. Now your good to go...
Mar 04 2023 08:42 AM
@Dennis5mile If MS rewards wasn't so well integrated into Edge I'd stop using it as well because of this missing feature. It took me ages to get used to it being missing after switching from Firefox, then as I get used to it when it was added, they go and take it away again,
It's a basic feature that has been in other browsers for years, yet MS still seems unable to add it permanently.
Mar 04 2023 01:42 PM - edited Mar 04 2023 01:45 PM
Yep, it and a couple of others....
There have just been other browsers that have paid attention to little conveniences like this, so I've been using them instead.
For example, other than Chrome being a resource hog, I never used Chrome because they refused to add "Double-Click" to close tab, drag and drop text Search / Link Open, etc.
I've used Maxthon and 360Chrome for the last near 25 years.... Maxthon was actually the first browser to have so many little browser features like the above and otherwise, it originally was called MyIE2, and was a "shell" over Internet Explorer. It was a far superior browser.
It's unfortunate that they didn't go Chromium when they decided to create a standalone browser, cause they lost so much development time.
Edge seems like they are willing to add features people want, like they've added Double-Click to close tab finally, Open Favorites in New Tab, the way Tabs open, etc.
Oh, to give you another example, I want to use Vivaldi because it has so many features and configuration options, however like 3 seemingly little things I just can't stand. Like, I can't stand their:
- Menu Button on the Left top of the page instead of on the top right as ALL other browsers have it, just can't stand it there.
- Can't stand their "Ghost Favorite Icons".
- Can't stand they also have the Favorites Folder Dropdown on the Favorites bar show the Favorites in a "Single scrollable Column" instead of Multi-columns.
So, I think just those three things and I can't use the browser because I can't stand those things so much, I've been using better browsers in relation to those aspects for near 25 years. I just can't use something "lesser".
Anyway, Edge is having a similar problem, a couple of little things, which are BIG to me, I just can't use the browser, even though it's a FAR better browser than say Maxthon currently is, same for Vivaldi.
So, "little" things like this thread is about, are things I NEED fixed, so I can finally switch to a truly professional browser.
Mar 05 2023 03:12 AM
Mar 05 2023 04:34 AM - edited Apr 12 2023 04:43 AM
1. Wherever your shortcut to which ever version of edge your using is, right click it
2. on the next screen that pops up after your right click, right click the name of the edge version you are using.
3. After you right click it, another popup will show with the name "Poperties" on it, click it.
4. on the next screen that pops up make sure your on the "shortcut" tab section at the top of that screen/window. and where it says "target" is where your going to add this "--enable-features=msFavoritesOpenInNewTabSetting" line at the end of what is already there. Do not replace what is there, just add to the end of it without the quotes..
5. Now after you add that line, look at the bottom of that window and you should see the word "apply" click it.
6. After you click "apply" click the word "OK".
Then if you have your edge browser open, close it and restart it. If you don't have it open, then just start your browser and you should be good to go.
After you open your browser you will need to right click on a favorite you want to open and verify that "always open in a new tab" is checked and if it is not click it to place a check ✓on it. After you do that you should then be good to go for all favorites you open there after.....
Hope this helps