SOLVED

Online - Data retrieval failures occurred

Copper Contributor

One of 3 Exchange Servers running on Windows Server 2019 returns "Online - Data retrieval failures occurred" I have tried to fix it by following this fix.

I have also tried:

cd C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Autorecover

Now, /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof *.mfl') do mofcomp %s

However, neither do not seem to fix it. Do you have any other suggestions?
Thank you in advance

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Wachtell (Copper Contributor)

@Karl_Wester-EbbinghausThank you for pointing in that direction. I changed the register keyword like this:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels\Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-IoTrace/Diagnostic]
"Enabled=dword:1"
modify to "Enabled=dword:0"

and error went away and did not return on reboot. I ran an Exchange Healthcheck.ps1 and it seems to be fine with the change. I see some worries online about changing the registry key. However, I guess it only relates to servermanager or does it relate to Windows Server itself?

Glad it helped you! Thanks for marking it as best solution and your feedback. Much appreciated!

I know quite some stuff but cannot tell what the IOT Log is about, would need to ask Copilot, which explains it as follows:

The Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-IoTrace/Diagnostic log is related to event tracing in Windows. Specifically, it provides diagnostic information related to I/O tracing within the kernel. Let me explain further:

1. Event Tracing for Windows (ETW):

• ETW is a powerful framework in Windows that allows applications, services, and the operating system itself to generate and consume events.
    • These events can be used for performance analysis, debugging, and monitoring.
    • ETW events are organized into channels, and each channel corresponds to a specific area of functionality or component.
    • The Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-IoTrace/Diagnostic channel focuses on I/O (input/output) operations.
  2. Kernel I/O Tracing:

• The kernel is the core part of the operating system that manages system resources and provides essential services.
    • I/O operations involve reading from or writing to devices, files, and other data sources.
    • Kernel I/O tracing captures events related to disk I/O, file system operations, network I/O, and other data transfers.
    • These events help diagnose performance bottlenecks, identify issues, and optimize system behavior.
  3. Why Is It Important?:

• Monitoring I/O activity is crucial for understanding system behavior.
    • The Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-IoTrace/Diagnostic log provides insights into I/O patterns, latency, and potential problems.
    • Administrators and developers can use this information to troubleshoot issues, improve performance, and ensure efficient resource utilization.
  4. Common Scenarios:

• Storage Performance Analysis: Analyzing disk read/write patterns, identifying slow I/O operations, and optimizing storage subsystems.
    • File System Troubleshooting: Investigating file access issues, permissions, and file-related errors.
    • Network I/O Monitoring: Capturing network-related events for diagnosing network latency or connectivity problems.

I believe this answer sounds pretty solid and correct.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Wachtell (Copper Contributor)