SOLVED

Issue with Windows Defender on Windows 11

Brass Contributor

I cannot open any of the settings on windows defender, when i try to it tells me to look for a compatible app in the Microsoft Store. Is this a bug or some other (fixable) issue?

445 Replies
thank you so much, i have watched 20 clip before i saw this cmt. it's really work for me
It worked thanks
I was wondering what was up and am glad I read your comment to remind me to run as admin. Immediately worked. Thanks
works for me... upgraded from windows 10 to windows 11 when i got this problem, now its fixed

Ive got this problem, I tried the fix and it said access denied.    @Francis_Powell 

SAME THING IS HAPPENING

PLEASE HELP ME IF RESOLVED

THANK YOU@Asuka_Okami 

@Francis_Powell  Man i have went through all these, you sir are the king of easy street.  TY so much.

This one worked for me on Windows 11, Nice tip.
Worked! Thank you!

I'm running into this issue on Win 11 build 25182 after performing a windows reset. This is particularly a problem for me because this is a company computer, managed by Intune.  Company Portal reports that the computer is unable to access company resources because I need to enable real time scanning and enroll in Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Both of those should be handled by the management, so it seems that the missing SecHealthUI app is either preventing Intune from configuring the features or possibly the features are enabled but Intune can't tell because of the missing app.
Possibly relevant, after the windows reset I found some McAfee software installed along with other apps from Dell. I uninstalled the Mcafee software, but the defender UI is still not available.
In my case, Microsoft.SecHealthUI isn't found under the WindowsApps directory, but in a subfolder 'DeletedAllUserPackages'. I was able to fix this by copying the folder 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DeletedAllUserPackages\Microsoft.SecHealthUI_1000.25182.1000.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe' and pasting it into ''C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\', then running the commands suggested previously:

add-appxpackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SecHealthUI_1000.25182.1000.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe"
get-appxpackage -allusers microsoft.sechealthui | Reset-AppxPackage

I am facing the same issue windows Defender is not working and find the same issue.

@Steve Whitcher This worked for me. However, I needed to make a slight adjustment to the commands noted. The first command was missing the call to the AppxManifest.xml file. Without that, it spits out an error every time.

Here's the full step-by-step:

1) Navigate to the following path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DeletedAllUserPackages\Microsoft.SecHealthUI_1000.25182.1000.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe'

Note: You will need to grant yourself ownership of the WindowsApp and DeletedAllUserPackages folders to access them.

2) Copy the Microsoft.SecHealthUI_1000.25182.1000.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe folder to "C:\Program Files\WindowsApp".

Note: The folder name may be slightly different based upon the version of the SecHealthUI app and Windows OS version.

3) After the folder is copied, open an elevated Powershell (run as administrator) and enter the commands below.

add-appxpackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SecHealthUI_1000.25182.1000.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml"
get-appxpackage -allusers microsoft.sechealthui | Reset-AppxPackage

Once completed, you should be able to open the Windows Defender Security application with no errors.

(copy the exact command if not error 87 will appear as its due to lack of space in the command)

in search bar type

command prompt

and then right click on it and select run as admin

Type the following command and press Enter:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

after the above process is completed copy paste the below command and press enter

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

after the above process is completed copy paste the below command and press enter

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

and restart your computer and check.

let me know if it works for you.
the bug must have evolved, the same problem but could not fix the same solution

I did the same on the video but for me its not workink.@dhruvbehrani 

Windows security is no open on my windows 11

it says access denied for me
You may be experiencing an issue with Windows Defender on Windows 11 where you can't access the settings and are prompted to find a compatible app in the Microsoft Store. Here are some quick steps to try and resolve it:

Check for Updates: Make sure your Windows 11 is up to date.

Run Troubleshooter: Use the Windows Defender Troubleshooter to automatically identify and fix issues.

Reset Settings: Try resetting Windows Defender settings to defaults using PowerShell.

Check for Third-Party Software: Ensure third-party antivirus software isn't conflicting with Windows Defender.

Create a New User Profile: Create a new user profile to see if the issue is user-specific.

Contact Microsoft Support: If problems persist, reach out to Microsoft Support for further assistance.

@Rebecca_Harshbarger 

My microsoft Windows defender is not working  I have tried multiple suggestions using powershell commands to get it working again but NONE of them work for me

Please help me