How to open password protected PDF without password on Windows 11?

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm reaching out to the community for some assistance with a PDF issue I'm facing. I have a PDF document that is password protected, and unfortunately, I no longer have the password. I'm looking for a way to access this document without the password.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• Checking if I've saved the password somewhere securely.
  • Contacting the original sender of the PDF for the password (no luck there).
  • Searching for basic software solutions that might help with this.

My questions is: Are there any reliable tools or methods that can help in this situation without compromising the integrity of the document?

I'd appreciate any guidance or advice the community can offer. Thanks in advance for your help!

5 Replies

The very first step is to try all the password combinations you use frequently.  If no luck with it, then check the following suggestions to open password protected pdf without password.

1. PDF Password Recovery software: This type of software application is used for recovering lost passwords for PDF files. One good example is iSeePassword Dr.PDF. It's designed to recover different types of PDF passwords including user password and owner password. The amazing tool is user-friendly and comes with a simple interface that requires no technical knowledge or expertise to use. The screenshot is one successful case. Below is a step-by-step guide for opening password protected PDF file with Dr.PDF software: 

https://www.iseepasword.com/online-help/pdf-password-recovery.html

password recovered.png

2. Adobe Acrobat: If you have an Adobe Acrobat subscription, you can use it to open password-protected PDFs. Adobe Acrobat has a feature called "remove password" that allows you to remove the password protection from a PDF file.

3. Online Password Recovery Services: Some online services offer password recovery for PDF files. These services require you to upload the file, and they will attempt to recover the password for you. Examples include LostMyPass and PDF Unlocker. Be cautious when using such services and ensure that they are reputable and trustworthy. After you have finished all your work, remember to delete all browsing history so that the data is not prying eyes.

@Steve1740  This does not work. When I imported the PDF file into Google Docs, it still asks me for password before I could see the content.

That's not possible natively with Windows. You need to manage the password for that PDF somehow to get access to its data.
Ditto to the person who said essentially "not going to happen".....No PW = No access.....If you cannot get the PW then the file is completely finished and not going to be able to be open/accessed/used.

Remember that whichever method you use to open a password-protected PDF file, make sure everything is within the law.