desktop has disapperaed

Copper Contributor

I'm having an awful time.  I did something and I don't know how to fix it.  First there was the issue with the OneDrive desktop.  I didn't want that at all!!!!  So, I fixed that and got the old desktop back.  

Then, I noticed that my ssd was filling up fast.  I wanted the folders on my desktop to be on my hdd, not the ssd.  So I found a tutorial to change the location.  But somehow it changed the location of my desktop completely to my hdd drive.  Which makes sense  now because the folders were located on my desktop?  But now my desktop folder has completely disappeared.  I can't quickly save anything on my desktop like I used to because it doesn't show up.  I found a tutorial that said how to change it back but it's not working!  I go to location and when I click restore default it shows where it used to be located.  I hit apply.  It asks if I want to move all of the files... etc.  I hit yes.  It tells me the folder can't be moved here. " Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied.".   I'm not trying to put the desktop on D.  That's where I moved it.  I want it back on C where it was!!!   How do I fix this??

3 Replies
It is hard to investigate the problem because we are not sure what steps have you followed?
Did you changed any registry?
Do you have access to the Command prompt?
Did you installed any program?
Right click on the Desktop and click on View->Show desktop icons and make sure it has been selected.
I didn't go into the registry and change anything. I do have access to the command prompt. I didn't install any program to do this. Just followed a tutorial to change the location of the desktop and now I can't change it back. I can see the desktop icons. I just can't see the desktop folder anymore in File explorer. And I can't change the desktop location back to drive C anymore, the place where it was.
Right click on the folder which is showing access denied and go to properties and click on Security tab and add administrator and your user.