SOLVED

Bug when creating a new folder

Copper Contributor

As of sometime in 2023 I believe, when I create new folders on Windows 11, the navigation bar regularly becomes highlighted, resulting in an inhibitory dropdown, preventing me from naming the folder that I just created or selecting anything underneath the dropdown, until I click on a certain area (e.g. toolbar panel) to close the dropdown. Happens on both my Lenovo desktop and Surface 4 laptop. Seems to happen more often on external hard drive folders, but I might be wrong. I reported this to Windows a while ago via the feedback hub but there's no update yet. Any ideas? Here is a screen recording of the issue: https://imgur.com/GWTzr5G

2 Replies
Sometimes, issues like these are addressed in subsequent updates or patches. Go to Settings > Windows Update and check for any available updates.
best response confirmed by cmhawke (Copper Contributor)
Solution

No integrity violations with sfc /scannow. Based on a few of the replies on elevenforum, it looks like this is confirmed to be a Win11 Explorer bug. My current workaround is to immediately start typing the intended name of the new folder, which maintains focus on the folder name before it goes to the address bar.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by cmhawke (Copper Contributor)
Solution

No integrity violations with sfc /scannow. Based on a few of the replies on elevenforum, it looks like this is confirmed to be a Win11 Explorer bug. My current workaround is to immediately start typing the intended name of the new folder, which maintains focus on the folder name before it goes to the address bar.

View solution in original post