SOLVED

Brightness dims after user login upon KB5030310 installation on a PC with AMD Radeon RX550/550Series

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone, I would like to report an issue after installing KB5030310 (OS Build 22621.2361) available at https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/september-26-2023-kb5030310-os-build-22621-2361-preview-36...

Brightness dims dramatically after user login upon KB5030310 installation on a PC having AMD Radeon RX550/550 Series as graphics card. Driver version of AMD card is 31.0.12027.9001. I have tried uninstalling the previous mentioned graphics card driver and issue would be fixed until its automatic reinstallation. Let me point out that before user login brightness is normal and it drops off after logon. Brightness is minimum for the whole display except of the arrow of the mouse cursor. For the time being I have uninstalled the above mentioned windows update and issue is fixed. 

Waiting for an update fix either from Windows 11 part or from AMD part.

Thank you in advance

54 Replies

@ngeorgopoulos 

I have the same problem which occurred after the KB5030310 update. My video is via Display Port on a RX570 card to my screen. I did spend some time with support who implemented two optional updates as well as added a SYSTEM Policy key to correct the issue. I seemed to and worked normally after the second Restart. But after shutdown and booting up this AM the issue is back I restarted once after getting this. Oddly I find Window 11 does NOT provide me a screen brightness control and my display's brightness setting has no affect. I have the bright cursor as well but the main screen is quite dim in comparison. I was thinking of doing a RestoreHealth via DISM tool I have used on Windows 10 but refraining for now. My search found this post on it which is dead on. My MB is an ASUS x570 Plus w/Ryzen 7 CPU.

Good Luck

I just fixed mine. Haven't rebooted but although I don't play games I went into Gaming selection, Display and toggled Colour Depth from 10bpc to 12bpc. The screen brightened dramatically. there is no brightness bar anywhere in Window 11 or in the AMD Software.
I was going to paste as screen shot but not valid here.

@Ron_W399 thanks for the info... for the time being I have uninstalled the problematic update and I'll be waiting for a potential fix on a next cummulative update. If I'll get the same problem over again I'll definetely test your proposed solution. Just a question where can I find the options of Gaming selection that you mention? Is it on Win Settings or where else?

Thank you very much for your time posting your workaround. 

Regards,

Nikos

Same behaviour as described above multiple times.
MB: Asus Prime Z790-P
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 (connected though DP)
After uninstalling KB5030310 brightness was restored to normal levels. I don't find that option to change colour depth to 12bpc. Maybe monitor related? (Mine is MSI Optix MAG342CQR)

@RichmanB 

This morning on restarting it was dim again and only brighten by toggling another display setting which immediately fix it. If this persist I likely uninstall the update.

Is that what you did as I don't have brightness bar anywhere to move either in Win 11 or the AMD Software I have running.

Same here with RX590. Sometimes the screen stays bright after login, but sometimes it is dimmed. I can enforce the dimming when going to System Settings -> Display (in this case the screen always dims). What fixes it for the current session is to switch of the monitor and switch it back again. 

Changing the color depth didn't help for me (changed from 10 bpc to 8 bpc).

Monitor is attached via Display Port. I've also tried another cable. No luck.

I have a second monitor attached via HDMI. On this monitor the issue doesn't occur.

Hoping for a fix from MS and/or AMD soon.

@rokl78

You can try activating (if available) HDR setting Control Panel -> System -> Display -> HDR. This setting would eliminate the dimming effect but at the cost of making all colors appear abnormally saturated. HDR setting for my case is unavailable now that I have rollbacked back the problematic windows update but it gets available and inactive after its installation. When I activated HDR dimming would be gone but color saturation really annoyed me so that I preferred to uninstall the update. 

Hopefully this workaround may be helpful to someone. 

Nikos  

@ngeorgopoulos Thanks for the hint, but HDR is not an option. I can activate HDR only for 1 monitor (the one which is connected via DP), but not for the other, so the colors look totally different between both monitors. I still haven't understood what's so fancy with HDR...

Yeah, its not the depth as again this AM the screen is Dimm and toggling the depth even back to 10 from 12 causes what appears to be a refresh and returns bright again. Other setting option appears to do the same thing that cause a refresh. I was going to remove the preview package but its not a easy in Win 11 as in other older version. Go figure...lol
I just uninstalled the update. I'll wait for a fix before I reinstall it.
My pc doesn't have a brightness bar as it is a desktop pc. I use the app F.lux to manage my brightness on my pc but I quickly ruled out any part in this issue.
I have the same problem. Uninstalled the KB5030310 update and that fixed it.
Hell. Uninstall doesn't work for me. 2x BSOD in a row, followed by an automatic repair of Windows and ... guess ... KB5030310 is back there. Tried the whole procedure 2 times. Obviously I have to live with my Monitor switch off/switch on workaround for now.

Hello and hope all is well. I had the same issue with brightness/darkness.

Installed latest window update on 5 machines, 3 desktops, 2 laptops. All went well except on one desktop where all three attached monitors came up very, very dark - on all machines, desktop icons now had shadows. Uninstalled the MS update, KB5030310, rebooted, all was well/back to normal.

Reinstalled the update, KB5030310, same issue. Uninstalled, back to normal. Set window update not to download and install any updates.

Noticed another update on another PC was avail, KB5031354, let that download/install, same darn issue, monitors got very dark....hmmm...what the heck was going on?

My video card is a AMD RX580. Had not updated the adrenalin software in 6 months, didn't see a reason to...got me thinking...so updated to 23.9.2, reinstalled KB5031354, crossed my fingers, rebooted...and all is GOOD. 

Seems the answer is to update the video drivers/software suite, at least on an AMD Radeon card. Oh yeah, the other pc's all had their video drivers updated before the window updates were applied - all AMD Radeon machines.

Oh, the desktop icon shadows have not gone away.....still there on all 5 of my machines, yes, tried registry, everything, nada.

Hi, I have installed KB5030310 (& KB5031354 but it is not the one that is responsible for the problem) and the dim effect after login is back again. I have updated AMD Radeon RX550 drivers to the latest 23.10.18 version but it does not solve the problem. If I turn off monitor and turn it back on again dimming is gone. So I have decided that I can live with that, meaning to turn off and turn back on, until problem is solved by some windows or AMD update.
Similar fix for me. This only happens on one of my two display, so for the affected display, I used the AMD Adrenalin software to change the display from 10-bit to 8-bit (which fixed the problem), and then changed it back to 10-bit again. (The dimming problem is not limited to KB5030310).
Should add that my fix doesn't persist after reboots, but that doesn't bother me as I leave my PC on 24x7.
To sum up so in either case, dimming effect persists after reboots and it is a matter of preference whether you want to turn of and back on the display or change color depth from 10bit to 8bit and back to 10bit. As far as I can understand in either case something is resetting back to normal and dimming is gone. Thank you all, so we just have to wait until it is fixed by some Win or AMD update. If anyone finds out that there is a final fix drop us a line please.
(1) Problem: Similar monitor dimming situation
(2) Graphic Card: Asus AMD RX550 4G EVO (I tested Asus nVidia GT710 graphic card which did not have the dimming problem)
(3) Temporary Solution (after many many hours to testing again and again)
(3-1) Use "Display Driver Uninstaller" (DDU / free software) to clear all nVidia and AMD graphic card drivers (under windows 11's safe mode) in my PC.
(3-2) Install AMD Pro Edition 22.Q4 driver (choose driver only) (I did test several AMD graphic card drivers issued date in 2023. They all work similar as Pro Edition 22.Q4 ) The monitor came back normal (no dimming issue)
(3-3) I checked "Windows 11>color management>device>monitor" and found setting to be "sRGB IEC61966-2.1"(default)
When I checked the box "Use my settings for this device". The dimming situation cameback. Unchecked "Use my settings for this device", and rebooted PC. The monitor became normal again.
This means you CAN NOT use your own color management icc setting. (I tested Windows 11's manual color management calibrite procedure. Dimming again)
(4) We need Microsoft / AMD engineers' help. Please hurry-up.
I reinstalled the KB5030310 update and the dimming reoccurred.
After some messing around a bit, I figured out that if I put it to sleep and wake it back up, the problem consistently goes away.
Can anybody figure out why this would work?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ngeorgopoulos (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I found a temporary solution! Just turn on the HDR then set the "SDR content brightness" slider to minimum, turn off HDR and voila, no more need sleep to have normal brightness. I'm now on 23H2 with RX560.

View solution in original post