SOLVED

Brightness dims after user login upon KB5030310 installation on a PC with AMD Radeon RX550/550Series

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone, I would like to report an issue after installing KB5030310 (OS Build 22621.2361) available at https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/september-26-2023-kb5030310-os-build-22621-2361-preview-36...

Brightness dims dramatically after user login upon KB5030310 installation on a PC having AMD Radeon RX550/550 Series as graphics card. Driver version of AMD card is 31.0.12027.9001. I have tried uninstalling the previous mentioned graphics card driver and issue would be fixed until its automatic reinstallation. Let me point out that before user login brightness is normal and it drops off after logon. Brightness is minimum for the whole display except of the arrow of the mouse cursor. For the time being I have uninstalled the above mentioned windows update and issue is fixed. 

Waiting for an update fix either from Windows 11 part or from AMD part.

Thank you in advance

54 Replies

@geostra Still there is no solution ,But its clear that people with RX 500 seris graphic card is having issues and this is related to HDR or 10bit 4k monitors only  and dimming at login  as all the comments suggests , Either amd or Most proberbly microsoft  should provide the fix to it , or the problen could be relates to particular models of monitir too >Lets hope they bring some fix to it , Like others me to managing the issue with some posted  tricks 

Thank you luiz-ng, for me that is effectively a full fix. As I have one HDR monitor and one non-HDR, I had to unplug the non-HDR one so that Windows will allow HDR; turn on HDR for the main monitor; reboot; click on "HDR" to get the submenu (does not show until rebooted); turn SDR content brightness to minimum, turn off HDR; and recalibrate both monitors. Perfect and your fix/workaround greatly appreciated. PS I am also now on W11 Pro 23H2 and run an RX580.

@APBX100S  is this a full fix ? will the settings stay after power recycle ? or the procedudre has to be repeated with every power recycle

Hi Musicalfan, only testing will tell! For my machine, the fix is stable through a number of power cycles, but who knows whether or when a further update from MS will make it revert. Meanwhile thanks again to ngeorgopoulos for the workaround and luiz_ng for the stable solution. Hopefully these wil also allow MS to fix the next deployment through setting the SDR content brightness to minimum as a default.

This trick works like a charm . Thank you. One thing i wantewr to know even after the 23H2 UPDATE i didnt get the new  features like copilot and the other paint one. dont know why

I don't see or have any brightness control in Settings of Win 11 nor see any Amd Adrenalin editioin software. I can turn HDR off, my screen dims a lot. No other options appear affecting screen and turning it back on its back to full brightness.
@luiz_ng's proposed workaround works for us for two (2) workstations with Radeon RX550 Series. This workaround persists any reboot so far. No more turning off and back on monitors. Thank you very much @luiz_ng! Hopefully Microsoft and/or AMD will remedy the problem for good in the near future.
Just turn on the HDR then set the "SDR content brightness" slider to minimum, turn off HDR,You will find the SDR content brightness just below once after enabling HDR 10. In some cases you need to restart the pc after enabling HDR 10 . And disconnect any 2nd monitor physically if you are using 2 monitor setup

@Rile_Zugo Deleting the icm file worked for me. Thanks a lot.

Maybee this one works for you too:
Open amd adrenaline, select graphics > advanced > reset shader cache.
Then restart pc.

Hope this helps

This is the only workaround that works for me as well. After rebooting I need to go back in and toggle bit depth. Annoying so hoping a fix on this soon.

DUUUUUUUUUUDE, that totally worked for me! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Issue happens to me using an LG Ultragear 27GP750-B over a MSI RX 570 OC Armor with official AMD drivers (version 23.11.1) connected using a DisplayPort 1.4 in case it helps Microsoft troubleshoot.  Same as the rest, HDR on everything is OK, HDR off dims the screen after Windows login.  The mouse pointer, strangely, retains full brightness and contrast making everything even creepier.

By now it's pretty safe to say this happens to people using AMD's RX 500 series.

@ngeorgopoulos 

If you use display port, the changing display port version from 1.4 to 1.2 in monitor settings may help.

Windows update KB5034204 (2024-01 / 23H2) seems to fix the dimming problem. I don't have to turn off and on the monitor anymore. The color management function also works normal. Probably needs to observe a few more days to make sure the fix is stable.