SOLVED

Brightness dims after user login upon KB5030310 installation on a PC with AMD Radeon RX550/550Series

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone, I would like to report an issue after installing KB5030310 (OS Build 22621.2361) available at https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/september-26-2023-kb5030310-os-build-22621-2361-preview-36...

Brightness dims dramatically after user login upon KB5030310 installation on a PC having AMD Radeon RX550/550 Series as graphics card. Driver version of AMD card is 31.0.12027.9001. I have tried uninstalling the previous mentioned graphics card driver and issue would be fixed until its automatic reinstallation. Let me point out that before user login brightness is normal and it drops off after logon. Brightness is minimum for the whole display except of the arrow of the mouse cursor. For the time being I have uninstalled the above mentioned windows update and issue is fixed. 

Waiting for an update fix either from Windows 11 part or from AMD part.

Thank you in advance

54 Replies
Yeah, hopefully MS will correct this in a release for November. Currently I either wait until it appear fully loaded before turning on the screen or shut off then back on. I am posted above in 2nd post Sept 28th. My card is RX550.
This will make me think twice about installing preview releases now.

Same problem, all dimmed but the cursor, with Radeon RX 570 (using windows drivers) on dual monitor setup- Only main monitor has the dimming problem, second monitor does not have the problem (both using displayport). The problem did not appear with KB5030310 , it appeared instead with KB5031455 but uninstalling it did not fix the problem.  Switching off and on the monitor fixed the problem.

It's clear that the installation of KB5030310 (OS Build 22621.2361) has caused a significant problem with the brightness on your PC, particularly when using an AMD Radeon RX550/550 Series graphics card. Your detailed information about the driver version (31.0.12027.9001) and the temporary workaround you've attempted by uninstalling and then experiencing the issue again upon automatic driver reinstallation is very helpful for others facing the same problem.

It's reassuring to hear that uninstalling the Windows update has resolved the issue for now, but it's certainly not an ideal long-term solution. Your call for an update fix from either Windows 11 or AMD is valid, and we hope that a solution will be provided soon to rectify this inconvenience. Such problems can be frustrating, especially when it impacts the user experience.

Your report will hopefully contribute to raising awareness about this issue and prompt necessary action from the concerned parties. Thanks for sharing your experience and providing this valuable information for the community.
Well AMD released a new drive 23.11,1 which I installed last week. Now two days ago Win11 23H2 got pushed to my PC and various restarts and typical shutdowns and startup all prove the issue still remains (screen dimming on start after it completes the boot process).
This is a FYI base on current software available at this time.

Same here. With me the problem started with the KB5032190 Windows update. Since on the same computer Linux works flawlessly, it is obviously a Windows-problem.

Problem description: the screen dims a few seconds after Windows has started. The only way to still work with the computer is to active HDR-display (with its ghastly bright light). The other option that seems to work at the moment: start windows -> go into "Sleep" mode -> wake computer up -> Display working as normal.

My system details:
Windows Edition: Win 11 EducationN (64 bit)
Windows Version: 22H2
Grafics Card: Radeon RX 570
AMD-Adrenalin: 23.19.05.01-231017a
Last cumulative Windows 11 Update: KB5032190

Neither updates to the graphics card, or the device-driver, have made a difference. For me also re-booting, and turning the monitor on/off have not helped. Very frustrating.

Turn you display off and back on after its booted. The display restarts and stays at the bright setting you had. What I'd been doing or don't turn it on until a while waiting for the computer to fully boot then turn on the display. Both work for me.

On another note, I install the Nov Windows Updates for Win 11 yesterday. Not change in this issue. I have seen no acknowledgement of it by Microsoft.

@ngeorgopoulos 

Just to confirm, I am experiencing the main screen dimming issue from today - I have a Ryzen 5 system and Radeon RX580 graphics with two monitors, the main monitor being 4K and HDR capable but with HDR switched off due to photo use.  Both are calibrated.  For reasons best known to MS, I have yet to receive W11 23H2 but W11 Pro 22H2 22621.2715 was fine until today's cumulative updates KB5032190 and KB5032007.  Now it has the dim main monitor issue - which can be fixed only by the workaround of booting, then putting the machine to sleep and then waking it.   All is then fine unless you look at the display settings, at which point you go back to dimness.

Looking forward to a fix for this annoying issue.

(1) Graphic Card: Asus AMD RX550 4G EVO
(2)Windows 11 updates:
(2-1) Windows 11 version 23H2
(2-2) 2023-11 KB5032190
(2-3) 2023-11 KB5032007
(2-4) KB890830 x64-V5.119

(3) AMD Graphic Card Driver: 2023/8/31 version 31.0.21902.5

(4) Test Calibrit Profiler

(4-1) In the beginning, the monitor was normal.
(4-2) Half way through the calibrit procedure, the monitor became dim.
(4-3) Put the PC into sleep and then woke it up. The monitor was normal. But the Calibrit Profiler was crashed. Sut down the Calibrit Profiler manually.
(4-4) I checked "Windows 11>color management>device>monitor" and found setting to be "sRGB IEC61966-2.1"(default)
(4-5)When I checked the box "Use my settings for this device". The dimming situation cameback. Unchecked "Use my settings for this device", and put the PC into sleep and then woke it up. The monitor became normal again.
(4-6) Test Conclusion: Still can not use color management due to dimming issue
The November update did not fix anything. I still have to put it to sleep and wake it up to fix the dimming problem.

Microsoft: anyone, anyone?
Any news? I have the same problem but I cant figure out any solution.

@geostra 

Have you tried to go to sleep, and then wake up your computer. That solves the problem for me. Bloody annoying - but it works

@geostra still no news unfortunately. I still have to turn off and to turn back on my monitor after every logon. Still waiting for an action from Microsoft and/or AMD.  

@ngeorgopoulosStill the same here - putting PC to sleep and re-waking works for me, including correct custom colour calibration, but a frustrating workaround.  I see that the AMD Driver and Software are dated 17 October 2023 so I suspect an update is imminent - nothing from MS.

Not sure if this applies to any of you but my monitor is an LG UltraGear and I was able to fix the issue by going to C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color and deleting ULTRAGEAR.ICM. A driver I installed yesterday had created that file and my issue started after that.
Hi Rile Zugo, I have just tried that and agree, deleting the monitor colour profile does restore brighness on reboot. However when I recalibrate the monitor again, it goes back to being dim as soon as the calibration is loaded. In doing the test, I noticed that this only happens on my large monitor which is natively an HDR 4K LCD TV on which I have HDR switched off so the colour calibration is sane. On my other monitor which is a normal 8 bit colour monitor, all works perfectly. Perhaps it is only on HDR monitors that there is a problem?

@APBX100S Probably. HDR is a messy thing, especially on computers. Also RX 500 series has very shoddy driver support, and everyone in this thread seems to be a 500-series owner.

Not sure how to fix it without forfeiting your calibration, but for me personally the dimness got temporarily fixed when I tried turning HDR on & off with the keyboard shortcut (Win + Alt + B), but it dimmed again right away whenever I opened Windows's Display Settings.

So, if this works for you, having to re-do the keyboard shortcut trick every time you wanna go to the settings could be an okay workaround for the time being until either AMD or Windows fixes the issue.

I don't have any calibration setting on my 570 card. I used the AMD device file in windows for Display in device manager rather than generic which was the default when installing the OS. I am driving a via DP, not HDMI which I doubt are having the issue. Once the Win 11 is booted I turn on my display and it goes in ok at normal brights as what is modifying the brightness takes hold at the end of booting, even before logging in. It works, if I do it too soon. I power off the display and right back on and it good. I have no other displays connected to card.
Thanks very much RIle Zugo - turning HDR on and off in settings does not work, but the shortcut you mentioned does! So thanks very much and that is much easier than suspending and restarting, so a tolerable workaround until a driver / W11 fix is implemented. I can't use HDR on the main monitor (HDR TV) as my second monitor is not HDR and as I understand from 2022 either both HDR or neither. Plus HDR colour calibration is wayward.
Thanks Ron_W399 - delaying monitor switch-on does not sort the problem on my 580 card, as you infer likely because I am connected using HDMI rather than DispalyPort.
best response confirmed by ngeorgopoulos (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I found a temporary solution! Just turn on the HDR then set the "SDR content brightness" slider to minimum, turn off HDR and voila, no more need sleep to have normal brightness. I'm now on 23H2 with RX560.