SOLVED

Windows Mail App Bug - Not sending e-mails from Gmail accounts

Brass Contributor

Hello, everyone!

I'm a long-term user of the Windows Mail and Calendar app, and it has always worked like a charm for me. However, something happened recently and now every time I try to send away an e-mail from a Gmail account, I got a message saying: "There was an error sending your message". Everything else works: I can read new e-mails normally, and the other e-mail services attached to the app still fully functional (Outlook, Office360, Yahoo). I also noticed that when I try to send an e-mail from a Gmail account, what I wrote goes to the "Draft" folder. I can even access the "draft" on the Gmail website, but when I open it, the formatation is completely crazy.

I got a Dell XPS 13 9370, and I'm running the latest versions of both Windows 10 and the Mail and Calendar app. 

I've tried everything I could:

1) I removed the Gmail accounts and added them again but the problem persists;

2) I uninstalled and reinstalled the "Email and Calendar" app but the problem persists;

3) I disabled the antivirus and the firewall but the problem persists (I got a kaspersky);

4) I have already run system corruption checks at the command prompt, but nothing has been found;

What should I do?

This is the pop-up that appears (I'm a Brazilian user, so it is in Portuguese):

otaviomayrink_2-1618864349923.png

33 Replies

@otaviomayrink Thanks Otavio. I can't think of any changes I've made to my own system (Surface Book 2), other than regular Microsoft updates. Will keep you posted if something changes!

I have the same problem since today. Have not touched the computer for roughly 4 weeks so it seems to be a problem with latest Windows or Gmail updates coming in during that time. :(

@stefkochI have the same problem as well.

Weirdly I had a working Gmail account, and then I added a new one and both can no longer send email.

Has anyone found a solution yet? The bug is still present in my version "16005.14326.20544.0" (which apparently was installed a few days ago according to MS Store...)
Hi
I suggest you check the Defener firewall manually - Add allowed applications, depending on whether it is a private or public network.

@stefkoch I tried everything I could. The only thing that solved the problem was a fresh (and clean) reinstall of Windows.

best response confirmed by otaviomayrink (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Found a solution for this exact problem. You have to manually uninstall the mail app then reinstall it through the windows store. I tried to reset the mail app but that didn't work.

How to uninstall the Mail app on Windows 10 

1. Right-click start button and select Windows PowerShell,
  2. right-click and select Run as administrator.
  3. Copy & Paste: 'Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps | Remove-AppxPackage'

How to reinstall the Mail app on Windows 10 

1. Open Windows Store and search for Mail and Calendar and click install.

I learned this trick from this video:

https://youtu.be/k39Rq4q91mw?t=133

It helped me today (28_Dec-2021), thank you vert much!
Surely will try, but this problem is going on for a while now. And I did find this video and did the removal and reinstallation of Mail app via Store - problem was, it happened again... Thanks anyways.

After initial installation of the Mail app, sending mail using GMail account worked (few days ago).

Today tried to forward one mail and this awful error reappeared... very sad and mad about this.

As mentioned, this goes on for some time now with most of the Mail app versions having this "formatting" problem... 

Picture below can be seen in Drafts folder using Gmail over web browser. Trying to see this via Mail app is not possible. It even does not open the original mail I wanted to forward... Until I restart the app itself (though, even then, draft folder seems empty there). 

wTJJ6O55Ri.png 

Method posted by @CodeMakesItGo did not help. Still having issues sending mail via Mail app using Gmail account. Mail ends up with weird formatting in the Draft folder (visible only via web browser, not in the Mail app itself). Whether this is new mail or forwarded/replied mail message.
Totally frustrating getting to the web app variant or some other third party mail app :/:(
Thanks Andrzej for you effort. Went through link you sent. Weird thing - currently it all works without me doing anything :S We'll see for how long.
Take care.
Many users have a problem with their Gmail account that causes them not to receive emails from senders. You need to turn off email forwarding. Email forwarding is a helpful feature that automatically forwards emails from one email address to another. You can turn this feature on to save you time if you have multiple Gmail accounts. You may have accidentally enabled this feature. Consider turning it off. This happened to me when I wanted to send an email with information from the news site https://deepweb.net/. I hope I was able to help you.