USB printer problems after every single security update

Copper Contributor

After every security update USB printer stops working. I have noticed that the USB001 virtual port is disabled and completely gone from port list. And that leaves the printer without any selected port. But when I uninstall the newest security update, it all starts to work. So, the main problem is that every week or two I have to remove the newest security update and completely block it from installing it. Is there a work around? Because it is quite horrible to uninstall W10 security updates for 50+ computers every week :(

4 Replies
Sadly I too have this issue. Perhaps knowing if we can create a new USB port, or override the disablement of the USB001 would be very helpful. Having to choose between security and a functioning printer stinks. By the way, I have a Kodak 5300 AIO USB only printer.
I am thinking that certain older printers use a communication protocol that is now considered a security risk. Obviously, not every USB printer in the world is affected as there would already be a revolution under way. If this is correct, the transparency of having a list of now unsupported printers would be the proper way to address this.
Well I am using old printer like hp 1020 and other 10 year old printers. Without removing the security updates there is another way to solve the problem. When fully removing USB ports from device manager and after restart the PC, printer ports work again. If it's hard to figure out which USB port is the printer port, all the ports must be deleted (best way to do it is when you are connected to the pc with remote control).

@Guuup In my case no such luck.  

I have finally discovered that any Printer or Scanner that uses Smart Card (PIV) authentication is no longer compatible with an up to date Windows system.  At boot, when Windows enumerates attached devices, it will automatically block system access to said device.  This was introduced in 2021, but we were given a one year grace period for manufacturers to update firmware and drivers.  That won't ever happen with Kodak for sure.  As of July of this year, that exception is gone forever.

With both a white list antivirus and a security service on my router, it would have been nice to have had the choice to accept any printer insecurities, but apparently a ten year old Scanner/Printer is now obsolete.

So, once I run out of my existing ink supply, it will be time for a new photo printer.  Then, in time a new Motherboard and Processor combo to allow an upgrade to Windows 11.

I appreciate your feedback