SOLVED

New Microsoft Whiteboard App

Steel Contributor

For those who may not have seen, there is a new version of Microsoft Whiteboard currently available in preview. It was released a couple of days ago into the Microsoft Store.

It's available for Surface Hub, but more importantly, also Windows 10 devices! We've been testing it for a couple of days and, suffice to say, it's FREAKING AWESOME!

Our favourite things so far:

• Co-authoring between any device
  • Whiteboard collections in one place, so no need to save different boards to OneDrive
  • Nice new gestures when using pen actions, like the eraser dynamically resizing depending on how fast you erase
  • Gridlines while resizing
  • Sticky notes and stacks are pretty cool
  • Did I mention co-authoring between any device?

You do need an Office 365 account to use it, and you'll need to turn it on in your tenant (from the Admin settings) to use it. But **bleep**... this is so so good! Our users are actually excited about getting their hands on this... never quite seen hype for a work product before, but it's there this time!

35 Replies

Awesome @Daniel Hudson, I was just starting to search to see if there was a list in Tech Community.  Thanks!!!

Hi all,
What are your thoughts on the Whiteboard application vs. the built-in whiteboard option that is in Skype for Business?
Personally I don't think they're comparable. The built-in Whiteboard function in Skype for Business is still running the original code-base from Lync 2007 and possibly Microsoft Communicator before that. This was one of the largest reasons why it's taken Microsoft so long to rebuild Whiteboard co-authoring the way they have, simply because they couldn't use the build in Skype whiteboard in the means they wanted to.

Hello Daniel,

so as far as I know the Whiteboard App is not in a preview anymore, right?

Are the data still stored in the US cloud or is it possible to chose the own country?

And do you have an idea when the Whiteboard App will be integrated in MS Teams?

Best regards

Hi Mathias

I don't work for Microsoft so can't really answer your questions. I can only go on the information Microsoft have already provided publically.

You are correct that the app is not in preview anymore. Microsoft did say that, when it came out of preview, it would be storing data in the local tenant location for the organisation, but I can't find any information about this online at the moment.

As for integration with MS Teams, I have no idea. I've not actually heard of any plans for integration at this time. My best guess is we'll need to wait at least for the web version of Whiteboard to be enabled, and MS Teams integration will likely follow that, but don't expect it for some time.

Thanks
D

Confused...  What is the point of "Gridlines while resizing/moving".  We recently bought a Promethean display and I've been testing various white board apps.  The Promethean app in Android includes multiple background types including Grid.

We really like the Microsoft Whiteboard app, but our engineers tend to like writing on grid paper...

Hi Dan

To be honest, I'd like to see an option for changing the background for different purposes: either a grid, or lined paper, or graph paper. I can see it's been posted as an idea on Uservoice here: https://whiteboard.uservoice.com/forums/909292-public/suggestions/35055136-change-the-board-s-backgr...

I'll certianly be voting for it :)

D
Voted.

Hopefully some day.

Has somebody been able to make this the default app for the Surface Hub? I've noticed now that MS teams is out for the hub, it seems to (still) load whiteboard 2016 on our Hub, when I launch the teams app. 

Hi Ron

This can't currently be done, but hopefully we might hear more over Microsoft Ignite which starts today.

Keep an eye on this document for information on Surface Hub readiness.

Lets hope so, it is a REALLY nice step forward, my team actually voted not to go off-site for our strategy week this week, because they would miss the HUB+the new whiteboard app. I would like to take the new teams app and the new whiteboard app and do an all in one onboarding for the rest of the company, instead of split roll out plans. 

best response confirmed by Daniel Hudson (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Hi Ron/Everyone

Looks like we've got an update coming out today that enables opt-in for the new Whiteboard app:

Oct 18th, 2018 —update for Team edition based on KB4462939*  (OS Build 15063.1418)

This update to the Surface Hub includes quality improvements and security fixes .

Key updates to Surface Hub, not already outlined in Windows 10 Update History , include:

• Skype for Business fixes:
    • Resolves Skype for Business connection issue when resuming from sleep
    • Resolves Skype for Business network connection issue, when device is connected to Internet
    • Resolves Skype for Business crash when searching for users from directory
  • Resolves issue where the Hub mistakenly reports “No Internet connection” in enterprise proxy environments.
  • Implemented a feature allowing customers to op-in to a new Whiteboard experience.

Looking at the Whiteboard page for Surface Hub, it seems it's been updated, but I'm not sure if this corresponds exactly with the update today:

How can I roll out the new version?

The new version of Whiteboard can be rolled out to Surface Hubs with an MDM setting that will be available by the end of the year.

If you wish to opt in sooner, you can enroll the device in the Windows Insider Program. The Release Preview ring provides an option to receive fixes, applications and drivers only. This will get slightly faster updates of Whiteboard and other apps.

To opt into Whiteboard using Release Preview:

• On your Surface Hub, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program, and click Get Started.

• Follow the steps to opt the device into the Windows Insider Program, making sure to choose Just fixes, apps and drivers. Within 24 hours, you should see the new Whiteboard app as the default.

• If you have previously installed the new Whiteboard app on the device, you should uninstall it.

So on one hand, we have an update saying they've implemented a feature to allow us to opt-in, on the other the Whiteboard page is saying we need to enroll in the Insider Programme for just fixes, apps and drivers to get the new app, and that the MDM setting will be coming later this year.

Currently nothing on the Surface Hub Admin Guide.

Given this has only just hit the relative sites, ChangeWindows hasn't even picked up on today's CU release yet, and nothing from Jen in the Windows 10 subreddit, I'll give it a few days and see if we get a consistent message in the admin guide confirming how to roll this out properly, either whether the MDM setting is actually there, or if the update today just allows for the Insider Programme to roll it out. Fingers crossed it's the former!

Salut la gang,

J'aimerais savoir si dans l'application de Whiteboard vous pensez intégrer un tableau ligné et un autre quadrillé. J'ai toujours pris mes notes sur une tablette quadrillé. Même avoir l'option de les faires apparaître et disparaître au besoin. Quand tu passe une feuille avec ton écriture tout croche, c'est pas très esthétique. J'ai vue des quadrillé apparaître et disparaître mais je ne suis pas capable des garder sur la feuille. Merci d'avance pour la réponse et excellant travail à toute l'équipe. Sylvie

Hi Sylvie!

Unfortunately my French is appaling as I've not studied since school, so I'll respond in English and post a translation (so thankful for Google translate!).

The Whiteboard team are working on a new feature that will add additional background choices for the whiteboard. This was a requested feature as posted in UserVoice here (https://whiteboard.uservoice.com/forums/915919-whiteboard-for-windows-10/suggestions/35055136-change...) and Ian has confirmed they're working on it.

Feel free to add your votes on the UserVoice and comment too to let them know you're interested!

Thanks
Dan

===========

Salut Sylvie!

Malheureusement, mon français est appétissant car je n’ai pas étudié depuis l’école, je vais donc répondre en anglais et publier une traduction (merci à Google Translate!).

L'équipe Whiteboard travaille sur une nouvelle fonctionnalité qui ajoutera des choix d'arrière-plan supplémentaires pour le tableau blanc. Cette fonctionnalité était demandée dans UserVoice ici (https://whiteboard.uservoice.com/forums/915919-whiteboard-for-windows-10/suggestions/35055136-change...) et Ian a confirmé qu'ils y travaillent.

N'hésitez pas à ajouter vos votes sur UserVoice et à commenter également pour leur faire savoir que vous êtes intéressé!

Merci
Dan

@Daniel Hudson 

Hi daniel,

I enjoy working with Microsoft whiteboard.
I miss a useful function to process a url in the whiteboard.
Even better would be a videolink to youtube or to a movie on your own location on the tablet.

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Greeting,
Karel

@karel425 I'm not on the Whiteboard team! If you have a suggestion, I recommend you put it on the Whiteboard UserVoice here.