SOLVED

Sharing SharePoint permissions across multiple sites

Copper Contributor

Hi all, 

Reposting an old post and re-wording to see if anyone has any guidance/best practice.

As an example, I have 5 sites in SharePoint online.  I want to share identical Visitors, Members and Owners permissions across all 5 sites.  In sharepoint 2013, we had site hierarchies, and subsites simply inherited permissions from it's parent.  However, and the new SharePoint Online flat structure, there is no inheritance.  Each site has it's own permissions, and I don't want admins having to update the permissions on 5 different sites everytime they want to add/remove a user. 

3 Replies
best response confirmed by TeeroyLyon (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @TeeroyLyon,

If you promote one of your sites to a Hub Site and then join all sites to that hub, then you get a new sharepoint secruity group on all hub sites called "Hub visitors".

You manage that group at the hub site level and the members get synced to all hub member sites.

But you only get a "Visitors" group that way.

Alternatively, you can create three new AD groups in Office 365 (visitors, members and owners) and assign permissions to these groups on every SharePoint site.

Best Regards,
Sven

Hey Sven,

Thanks for this! However, I'm not even sure how this got reposted? I posted this months ago...and I didn't repost this yesterday. VERY strange. I've since received and answer on this one, and pretty much aligns with your answer :-).

Cheers,
Troy

@SvenSieverding 

How/Where do you create AD groups that can be applied across multiple sharepoint sites?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TeeroyLyon (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @TeeroyLyon,

If you promote one of your sites to a Hub Site and then join all sites to that hub, then you get a new sharepoint secruity group on all hub sites called "Hub visitors".

You manage that group at the hub site level and the members get synced to all hub member sites.

But you only get a "Visitors" group that way.

Alternatively, you can create three new AD groups in Office 365 (visitors, members and owners) and assign permissions to these groups on every SharePoint site.

Best Regards,
Sven

View solution in original post