SOLVED

Add new term to managed metadata term set using the Modern interface

Copper Contributor

I'm using managed metadata and one of my metadata columns that uses a term set that allows users to tag documents with descriptive terms.

The idea is that users will also be able to add terms if they can't find a relevant term on the list.

This worked fine in classic mode, but we can't seem to get it to work in Modern.

The term set is set to Open, and the library column is set to Allow Fill-in Choices.

When we open the term set, we click the three dots by Category, and we see a New Term option.

newTerm.png

However, nothing happens when we click this.

Are others seeing the same behavior?  

6 Replies

Hi @Jronash,

did you add your users as stakeholders for the termset?

Best Regards,
Sven

Yes, they are stakeholders.

Even SharePoint admins can't add new terms using the Modern interface. We all have to switch to Classic or go to the Term store.
We have the exact same issue for our entire tenant and have opened a ticket. They could not inform me of any known issues at the time...waiting for an update.
FYI, It all previously worked as expected in Modern for us until last week.
We have exactly the same issue

@Jronash 

I notice that this topic is still open.

If you are still experiencing this issue, have you tried hitting ENTER after typing the new term? Please ensure you save it at the end. After refreshing the page, check again to see if the term was added.

best response confirmed by Jronash (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Sorin_Mihalea 

I never found a solution to this (other than switching back to Classic mode), but it looks like Microsoft has made some updates in the past year, and it's working now.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jronash (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Sorin_Mihalea 

I never found a solution to this (other than switching back to Classic mode), but it looks like Microsoft has made some updates in the past year, and it's working now.

View solution in original post