SOLVED

SharePoint Caching Problems with Lists

Copper Contributor

I have been having odd behaviors with regard to configuring SharePoint lists that started occurring the last 2 days:

(1) When adding list columns they do not show up until I refresh the page

(2) When editing the list name, it reverts to the old list name after a page refresh

(3) When editing list item layout (JSON code) it saves and displays correctly until I refresh the list, at which point the code is deleted and the layout returns to default

(4) When editing list column details some changes revert to the previous value after a page refresh (column names, choice elements, and other settings).

(5) Some lists show me as only having read-only access when I am clearly on the "edit" list

I am having these problems with multiple lists across multiple SharePoint sites.  All of the issues are fixed by working in "private" browser mode; some are fixed temporarily by clearing the cache.  Does anyone have any ideas on a fix?  Incognito mode is fine, but annoying to have to go through all of our company's verification steps every time I go in to make an edit.

Update: I did all my JSON changes in private mode which worked for me, but any time anyone opens a list item it deletes my code and reverts back to the unformatted version.  Any help is appreciated.

Office 365/SharePoint Online, MS Edge browser Version 94.0.992.38 (Official build) (64-bit)

Thank you in advance!

30 Replies
Thank you. I THINK that this worked!
I went to List Settings : Advanced Settings
Down to Offline Client Availability
I set NO for: Allow items from this list to be downloaded to offline clients?

I have to click refresh several times to be sure the page is on the newest version. Even if there is a reason why the page is not dynamically updating, why is there not an element which informs me that changes are available and I should refresh. A simple hash behind it or whatever would be enough.

This uncertainty lowers acceptance of lists immensely and I regretting to have introduced it. 

@robertchamplin I have found if I use Brave as my browser, and use incognito, everything works perfectly!

Just want to mention that this helped me resolve a similar but not identical issue of a list, for some reason, causing the sharepoint page to fail to load at all for some of our users in firefox.
Soon as I disabled Offline Client Availability the sharepoint page loads perfectly fine again... Thank you!

The list setting change to not allow download to offline clients fixed our issue. Thanks for the recommendation. It was driving us crazy. 

@pdfrig 

Thank you for posting these steps. My team has been encountering this issue since we migrated to a new Sharepoint site in May and changing the Offline Client Availability to No corrected the issue for everyone.

Thank you for this!
We were experiencing this issue yesterday, it happened when we filtered a column to a specific value and it shows an empty list. But we know the data is there because when we check through another filter it is showing.

I thought by clearing the cache was the solution, but apparently it's just a temporary one. Your advice works!

@pdfrig Is there anything else I need to do besides disabling offline availability. One user is having trouble with a list but when I disable the feature the sync icon is still there. When I clear the cache, the problem is gone for a short time and is back after a reload of the page.

In my organization, users are facing the same problem. Disabling offline accessibility does not solve the problem at all. Only clearing Sharepoint's cookies helps, but this only works for one use of the list.

@MiloszWI faced the same Problem with two users. Luckily it is fixed now.

I deleted the following folder: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\ListSync. To accomplish this you have to first stop the Task for OneDrive and Sharepoint via Taskmanager.

After that, it all worked as intended. Hope this helps!

2023-09-28_11-03-26_explorer.png

@jonas_jansen  this has worked for me, thank you! Been dealing with this for the past months.