SharePoint Caching Problems with Lists

New Contributor

I have been having odd behaviors with regard to configuring SharePoint lists that started occurring the last 2 days:

(1) When adding list columns they do not show up until I refresh the page

(2) When editing the list name, it reverts to the old list name after a page refresh

(3) When editing list item layout (JSON code) it saves and displays correctly until I refresh the list, at which point the code is deleted and the layout returns to default

(4) When editing list column details some changes revert to the previous value after a page refresh (column names, choice elements, and other settings).

(5) Some lists show me as only having read-only access when I am clearly on the "edit" list

 

I am having these problems with multiple lists across multiple SharePoint sites.  All of the issues are fixed by working in "private" browser mode; some are fixed temporarily by clearing the cache.  Does anyone have any ideas on a fix?  Incognito mode is fine, but annoying to have to go through all of our company's verification steps every time I go in to make an edit.

 

Update: I did all my JSON changes in private mode which worked for me, but any time anyone opens a list item it deletes my code and reverts back to the unformatted version.  Any help is appreciated.

 

Office 365/SharePoint Online, MS Edge browser Version 94.0.992.38 (Official build) (64-bit)

 

Thank you in advance!

5 Replies
Hello,
similar issue for us. (office 365 / sharepoint online)
test with differents uptodate browsers (edge chromium, chrome, firefox), with differents users.
Always need to clear cache (cookies and data site) or use incognito mode.
the pb is when users modify 1 line, all data in this line are blank and then auto save clear all data in this line.
all users are not impacted, but they are more every day.

Thank you in advance!
Hi, wanted to add that we're seeing the same issues and solutions. Some users are getting errors of lists not showing data. They change browsers and it works for a while but then the same errors appear. It is solved by clearing cache or working incognito. I am not getting the errors, and the only difference we can see is that I'm running Windows 11.

At least we are not the only ones.  When you say it is "solved" by clearing the cache, do you mean permanently?  Whenever I clear the cache it loads correctly the next time, but then the problems return when they navigate away from and back to the list (including the issue of deleting my list item JSON formatting code).

At my company we have something similar for some users. And this is working only when the browser cache is cleared but only once you are working with the list.
If you go to another website and jump back in the list the issue comes back. So basically you will have to close the browser each and every time you go out of the list. INSANE!

Our issue is with with the view/edit form of the standard SharePoint list. If you double click on a selected item, the standard view/edit form is blank and no data is showing. Even if you were to click button: EDIT ALL in the view/edit form, the data wouldn't appear for that particular item.
Additionally, the view-formatting JSON is not saved as well if you were to paste it in.
The thing is that not all of the lists are affected by this issue.

However, if you were to copy the link to the item and paste the link into another browser tab the data is shown in the full screen form view, with the view-formatting JSON applied correctly.
Some users say that this issue occurred after a Windows Update. Not sure if that is the main reason.
I, too, had a few Microsoft Lists users encounter the exact same behavior beginning around the same time. Incognito/InPrivate/Private windows seem to circumvent the caching issue, but that's not a solution, just a workaround. I opened a ticket with Microsoft (#28088946) back on 10/25 which resulted in a response of essentially, "There must've been some change rolled out to Sharepoint/Lists that caused this caching issue. I'll report it and expect it to be resolved in the near future, and until then just use Incognito mode." I was excited to find this thread of others experiencing the exact behavior we were seeing, so at least I know the issue is bigger than just my little operation...

Just today (12/3), for the coworker who's been reporting this issue over the past week and clearing her Chrome browser cache doesn't seem to be a lasting solution, I uninstalled Microsoft Lists PWA (installed under Chrome previously) and had her sign into Edge and open Lists, then installed the PWA under Edge instead. Hoping for a longer-lasting period of proper functionality before the caching issue starts happening in Lists PWA/Edge. Chrome is still her default browser, so at this point she's ONLY using the Edge engine for the Lists operations...