Migration of large sites

Brass Contributor

I need to do a migration from SP 2019 on premise to SP Online. We do not have may site collections, only 6, but we do have large libraries. Each site collection contains one document library with more than 1 TB of data each (largest is 7TB).

The problem is that we need to create new map (and submap) structure. Currently, there are no maps , but we need them in the new environment.

What would you recommend? To do migration of data as is and create map structure afterwards?

Or to create structure of new maps and then migrate data to new maps? Is that even possible?

Is SPMT good enough tool to migrate such large amount of data?

6 Replies

@MarioZagreb SPMT might fall over with that size of data. I'd look at ShareGate.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP Global (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

My two cents here:
(1) Design the right information architecture before start thinking on the migration
(2) Deploy the information architecture
(3) As mentioned by Rob, go for a third party migration tool. SPMT is not a good option what that amount of data
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by information architecture?

@MarioZagreb ,

Hi Mario, Let me share my experience. A well-planned information architecture is a prerequisite for a successful SharePoint migration. Source Site Owners or Site Collection Administrators or Business Site Owners/ Departmental Owners are part of pilot groups in migration process. It lays the foundation for end-user productivity and ensures that everyone has access to the necessary resources. It’s always recommended to plan your information architecture before starting the migration process. Information architecture is crucial during SharePoint migration for several reasons:
Content Reorganization: Migration provides an opportunity to reorganize, re-architect, and simplify your existing content. This can improve SharePoint’s usefulness and drive platform adoption.
Improved Search: During migration, you can take advantage of features like improved search capabilities. This can make it easier for users to find the information they need.
Increased ROI: By improving the organization and accessibility of content, you can increase the return on investment (ROI) for your SharePoint implementation. User Adoption: A well-planned information architecture can boost user adoption. It ensures that everyone has access to what they need, when they need it.
Reduced IT Costs: Effective information architecture can reduce IT costs by making information easier to manage and maintain. Compliance and Security: Proper information architecture can help ensure compliance with content regulations and enhance security.
Info workers with Information Architecture, help to plan and phase out Migration Process to map Site Collections accordingly in target environment.

@maheshneelannavarFrom this text, I still have no idea what information architecture is :))

i migrated over 10TB from sharepoint 2013 to spo use SPMT, so you can do it...