Migrating files from one SharePoint site collection to another sharepoint site collection

Copper Contributor

I used to use mover.io to migrate clients sharepoint data between sites when they have been upgrading their sharepoint experience from classic to modern. 

The advantage of this is that document properties remained unchanged in the destintation. Important metadata that customers used, like modified and modified by. It was a safe and stable method, which as an IT admin was preferable. 

Now that the functions are being moved to the SharePoint admin centre and the migration tool, it seems some important functionality has been missed here. 

advice I am getting from the docs is to sync to a pc then upload to the desired location: this will lose the metadata and also creates the same data being transfered twice. 

the unbuilt functions of 'copy to' and 'move to' wont work either. 'Copy to' creates a new version of the file, with the current user account as the modifier and with a new modified by date. 
'Move to' does take the metadata, but it is not stable with large files and large amounts of files. 

Why has this not been considered? a simple task that would take 30 mins to set up will now take a lot longer, and a consultant working with hundreds of small companies, cached data on my system becomes a nusiance and a security risk if i have to sign in and license an account each time to sync sharepoint via the onedrive client. A way around this is to create a VM to contain the data then delete it... but this is too long a process to do a task that mover.io had the ability to do. 

my question, is there a work around, or a script that will allow me to migrate 100 GBs of data between sites in the same tennant? ShareGate and others will not work as they do not have consulant licenses. 

my second question; how can i request this feature for the sharepoint migration tool?  

1 Reply

@jasonkirktech You can request new feature by adding feedback/idea on feedback portal at: SharePoint Feedback Portal 

Also, you can reach out to Microsoft via support ticket, follow: Get M365 support - online support 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.